Watch Jeff Bezos describe his plan to colonize space, unveil the 'Blue Moon' lunar lander, and rib SpaceX in this video
- Jeff Bezos, the billionaire founder of Amazon, has unveiled a giant lunar lander made by his spaceflight company, Blue Origin.
- Bezos spoke about the "Blue Moon" spacecraft during an hour-long talk in Washington, DC on Thursday.
- He also shared his grand vision for populating the solar system with a trillion people, ideally in huge space colonies as first envisioned by physicist Gerard O'Neill in the 1970s.
- You can watch Bezos' full presentation below.
- Visit Business Insider's homepage for more stories.
Jeff Bezos, the billionaire founder of Amazon, has a bold vision for the future of humanity: A trillion people living and working in outer space, ideally in giant Earth-like "O'Neill colonies." (The name comes from physicist Gerard O'Neill, who first described this idea in the 1970s.)
Bezos, who founded the spaceflight company Blue Origin, has described this idea several times over the past couple of years. But yesterday, he gave his most in-depth presentation about it yet. Bezos' talk included eye-catching animations to make the case that Earth's resources are limited (though humanity's thirst for them is not), and we are barreling toward a grim future if we don't try something bold and new.Bezos also unveiled a giant lunar-landing spacecraft called Blue Moon, which he hopes NASA will select in its push to return astronauts to the moon in 2024.
"This is an incredible vehicle, and it's going to the moon," Bezos said.
Blue Origin released a video of Bezos' talk on YouTube today for all to see.
You can watch Bezos describe his vision, pull the curtain on Blue Moon, and indirectly rib Elon Musk (and his rocket company, SpaceX) using the embedded player below.