What the Tour de France riders are eating for dinner
- The cyclists in the Tour de France will require a ridiculous number of calories to make it all the way from Brussels down to the Pyrenees and back up to Paris via the Alps.
- They'll pedal 2,162 miles, or 3,480 kilometers, over three weeks.
- Because the riders have to consume so much food, eating can feel like work, so the chef Olga Belenko prepares meals that are as delicious as they are nutritious.
- The US-based team EF Education First invited Business Insider to its chef's van, a kitchen on wheels that travels with the race each day, to see what Olga was cooking up for dinner.
- Visit Business Insider's homepage for more stories.
TARBES, France - The riders in the Tour de France consume and burn several thousand calories daily over the 21 stages. They say they eat so much it can feel like work.That's where Olga Belenko comes in. She's the chef for the American team EF Education First, in charge of cooking up nutritious but delicious breakfasts, dinners, and other in-between meals for the duration of the three-week race.Advertisement
Read more: An American Tour de France team has banned cellphones at the dinner table
She recently invited us into the team's chef's van, a kitchen on wheels, to see what the riders were eating for dinner. Because the riders were racing a time trial the next day, Olga wanted to make a meal that wasn't too heavy and very easy to digest.These are all dishes you could prepare easily at home to fuel your next workout.
A mixed green salad with lemon.
The pros are just like us! They love cheese too.Advertisement
Rice with sautéed onion.Advertisement
Vitamins and minerals galore.
A mushroom soup with potato and leek.Advertisement
Tomatoes everywhere, all the time.Advertisement
Baked chicken with spices — and the skin on.
- Health Ministry launches portal for info on vaccine, clinical trials
- Elon Musk's SpaceX will launch another 60 Starlink internet satellites into Earth’s orbit tonight
- Farmers protest in India intensify — Kerala MP and Punjab CM to move the Supreme Court, three Punjab BJP leaders resign
- Best smartphones with 256GB of internal storage
- Maharashtra’s restaurants and bars are likely to reopen for dine-in services