What you need to know about Microsoft's new, sleek Windows
So what's the difference between the original-flavor Windows 10 and this new Windows 10 S?
The basic answer is: Not much. The actual experience looks to be very much the same between the two, from the Start menu, to the Cortana virtual assistant, to the focus on touchscreen and stylus features. When Windows 10-powered virtual reality headsets start hitting the market later this year, they'll support both versions, too.
Here are the major differences between the two, in bullet-point form:
- Windows 10 S is focused on speed, better battery life, and higher performance - Microsoft says that it boots up in seconds.
- Windows 10 S is designed to run well even on lower-end laptops: Microsoft recommends a relatively modest 4GB of RAM and 64GB of hard drive space for classroom machines.
- Laptops running Windows 10 S will start at around $229, from companies like HP, Samsung, and Acer.
- The tradeoff is that Windows 10 S can only run apps from the Windows Store. The positives are that it makes it basically impossible to download malware or viruses, but it also means you're limited to Microsoft-approved apps. That includes Spotify, Facebook, Netflix, and soon, Microsoft Office.
- Along those same lines, you're limited to the Microsoft Edge browser on Windows 10 S, at least until other companies like Google choose to list their browsers in the Windows Store.
- If you decide you need your standard Windows apps, which might include Google Chrome or the Steam online gaming platform, you can upgrade to the full Windows 10 Pro for $49. Microsoft Windows exec Joe Belfiore tells CNET that "S" to "Pro" is a one-way switch, so be advised.
Otherwise...yeah. Pretty much the same, apart from a different default desktop wallpaper.
The flagship Windows 10 S machine is the Surface Laptop, a new $999 gadget from Microsoft itself, shipping on June 15th. That's going to be our first real taste of Windows 10 S, so stay tuned.
Get the latest Microsoft stock price here.
- Migration to other social media platforms shows no signs of slowing following Elon Musk's chaotic takeover at Twitter, report says
- BHEL among 5 bidders for Rs 58,000 cr deal to manufacture, maintain 200 Vande Bharat trains
- Max Financial Services: Company worth ₹24,000 crore running with only 12 employees
- DroneAcharya AI IPO set to open next week on December 13; GMP at ₹25 per share
- Low pressure mounts over Andaman Sea, heavy rain expected to lash TN
- New Indian sustainable jet fuel technology could cut aviation emissions by 80%
- From digital shagun at a wedding to digital donation — unique use cases for Paytm go viral on social media
- Delhi HC seeks RBI stand on PIL seeking uniform banking code for foreign exchange transactions
- Jio Haptik
- Reliance Jio
- Digital Nomad Visa
- Whatsapp tips
- Air India crew guidelines
- Mukesh Ambani
- Larget Employers
- Highest Revenue companies
- New Cars in December 2022
- Best Companies for Work
- India's Richest People
- Droneacharya Aerial IPO
- Top Valuable unlisted Company
- Kama Holdings
- Top 10 Colleges in India
- Top 10 Airlines in World