Why mosquitoes are attracted to some people more than others
- If you've ever felt that mosquitoes specifically target you more than you're friends, you could be right.
- Female mosquitoes - which are the ones that drink blood - are attracted to some humans more than others.
- They hunt by both sight and smell, and love smelly soaps, perfumes, and other fragrances. They also flock to brightly-colored clothing.
- Your blood type also plays a role. People with Type O blood get bitten twice as frequently as people with type A.
Following is a transcript of the video, which is excerpted from "The Mosquito" by Timothy Winegard.
Please don't feel singled out, special, or view yourself as a chosen one. She bites everyone. This is just the inherent nature of the beast. There is absolutely no truth to the persistent myths that mosquitoes fancy females over males, that they prefer blondes and redheads over those with darker hair, or that the darker or more leathery your skin, the safer you are from her bite. It is true, however, that she does play favorites and feasts on some more than others.Blood type O seems to be the vintage of choice over types A and B or their blend. People with blood type O get bitten twice as often as those with type A, with type B falling somewhere in between. Disney-Pixar must have done their homework when portraying a tipsy mosquito ordering a Bloody Mary, O-positive in the 1998 movie "A Bug's Life." Those who have higher natural levels of certain chemicals in their skin, particularly lactic acid, also seem to be more attractive. From these elements, she can analyze which blood type you are. These are the same chemicals that determine an individual's level of skin bacteria and unique body odor. While you may offend others and perhaps yourself, in this case, being pungently rancid is a good thing, for it increases bacteria levels on the skin, which make you less alluring to mosquitoes. Cleanliness is not next to godliness, except for stinky feet, which emit a bacterium, the same one that ripens and rinds certain cheeses, that is a mosquito aphrodisiac. Mosquitoes are also enticed by deodorants, perfumes, soaps, and other applied fragrances.
Please don't go on a shower, deodorant, and exercise strike or shelve your beloved beer and bright T-shirts just yet. Unfortunately, 85% of what makes you attractive to mosquitoes is pre-wired in your genetic circuit board, whether that be blood type, natural chemical, bacteria or CO2 levels, metabolism, or stink and stench. At the end of the day, she will find blood from any exposed target of opportunity.
- Apple says one billion iPhones are now active around the world
- Delhi hit with a low intensity earthquake of 2.8 magnitude
- FMCG: The trends to watch out for in 2021
- Railways Budget 2021: Faster trains, higher funding and support for green railways — here’s what’s on the experts’ checklist
- Apple to open retail stores in India, after the success of its online store, says CEO Tim Cook