Why some killer whales have curved fins
Contrary to popular belief, fin collapse doesn't just affect captive whales. Biologists think there are several reasons for the phenomenon. Following is a transcript of the video.
Contrary to popular belief, it's not just in captive whales. The phenomenon is more common in captivity, but people have also seen wild orcas with curved fins. So, the cause cannot be captivity alone.
Ultimately, what's going on is the collagen in the dorsal fin is breaking down. One reason this may happen is from temperature. Warmer temperatures can disrupt collagen's structure and rigidity. Which may explain why more captive whales have curved fins.
In captivity, whales breach the surface more often, exposing their fins to the warmer air. It doesn't take long for this process to happen. One group developed curved fins after a month in captivity. But once the group was released back to the wild the fins reverted to normal.
While temperature is a leading theory, some experts think speed could also be a factor. In the wild, killer whales swim on average 3 to 4 mph and can sprint at speeds up to 34 mph. At those speeds, water creates a considerable force against the fin, which could keep the fin strong and upright. Captive whales don't have enough space to reach these speeds. Ultimately, the curved dorsal fin is still a mystery. Curved, or not, the orca's giant fin is a beacon to all, this apex predator is a force to reckon with.
- Cisco says a company 'leader' who encouraged TikTok followers to report strippers to the IRS is no longer employed at the company
- Cryptocurrency investment 101 — here’s how to do your own research (DYOR) and invest in the right digital asset
- Realme GT Neo 2 5G review: Great performance, fine display but camera needs work
- India's farmers protest takes a gruesome turn with a chilling murder at the scene — here’s the sequence of events
- Bizarre! Shubhman Gill was brought back to bat after being declared out
- Ruturaj Gaikwad and Faf du Plessis — amazing data on how the two openers led CSK to IPL 2021 championship
- Budget and safety top criteria for Chennai households during festive season:LocalCircles
- Electric bus makers on a roll as states like Maharashtra and Karnataka send in large orders