'Wonder Woman' is now the highest-grossing superhero origin movie of all time
- "Wonder Woman" is now the highest-grossing superhero origin movie of all time, with $821.749 million worldwide.
- It surpasses longtime chart-topper, 2002's "Spider-Man."
Finally some good news for Warner Bros.
The studio has cause to celebrate, as its hit summer movie "Wonder Woman" has passed 2002's "Spider-Man" to become the highest-grossing superhero origin movie of all time.
The movie based on the legendary DC Comic, starring Gal Gadot in the title role and directed by Patty Jenkins, edged passed Sam Rami's Sony blockbuster earlier this week, having now earned a worldwide total of $821.749 million. "Spider-Man" has a worldwide total of $821.708 million. This is obviously not counting inflation, in which case Spidey would still be ahead, coming in at over $1 billion.
And we should also tip our caps to Warner Bros., which used the long-tail approach with "Wonder Woman." The studio kept it in theaters worldwide long after most superhero movie runs (partly to keep it in awards season talk), and that's a major reason why the movie is now number one.
This news couldn't come at a better time for the studio. Earlier this week, it was busy having to navigate the sexual misconduct allegations against director-producer Brett Ratner, who is a partner at RatPac-Dune Entertainment, a company that has financed many of the studio's recent successes, including "Wonder Woman," the fall hit movie "It," and Oscar favorite "Dunkirk."
Ratner has since announced that he's stepping away from his involvement in all Warner Bros. projects.
- Air Canada, Emirates, Air India and other airlines resume flights to Toronto and the tickets are priced up to ₹5 lakh
- I flew on a $65 million Gulfstream G650ER private jet and saw why it's a favorite of tech billionaires like Elon Musk and Jeff Bezos
- The collapse of Evergrande, one of China’s largest home developers, is “not a Lehman moment” but the fear may haunt steel and metal stocks in India
- IRCTC, IndiaMART, Cummins India and others have been under pressure in the last 5 days but still worth buying
- Noise ropes in Taapsee Pannu as its brand ambassador for smart wearables
- Online fantasy gaming startup earns almost five times Dhoni's Chennai Super Kings
- Samsung's first F-series phone with 5G support, Galaxy F42, to launch soon
- 2021 Yamaha R15 V4.0, R15M, Aerox 155 launched in India — all you need to know