2.3 million children in India did not get measles vaccine-- and the country now ranks fourth in the world for the number of cases
- India reported 39,299 number of measles cases between July 2018 and June 2019.
- Madagascar witnessed the highest number of cases followed by Ukraine ,and the Philippines.
- There was a 300% in the number of measles cases around the world in the first three months of 2019.
However, the number of children suffering from measles in India has come down from 69,391 in 2018 to 24,076 until June 2019.
Madagascar (150,976) witnessed the highest number of cases followed by Ukraine (84,394) and Philippines (45,847), the report added.
300% surge in global measles cases
There was a 300% in the number of measles cases around the world in the first three months of 2019, UN warned. The spike is largely because of the drop in global vaccination rate.
Measles is an infectious disease caused by the rubeola virus. Two dosages of vaccination can cure measles once and for all. However, 20 million children did not receive life-saving vaccinations in 2018, according to the
This is an opportunity for companies like Serum Institute of India Pvt. Ltd that sell these vaccines. The cost of every dose can range anywhere between ₹155 and ₹600.
Controlling measles by 2020
India assured to control the number of measles cases by 2020, but that is still a distant dream. Sri Lanka has declared itself measles free country.
Whereas, India reported second-highest number of measles cases in 2017. As many as 2.9 million infants did not receive the first dose of anti-measle vaccine.
"More than one-third of all measles deaths worldwide (around 56 000 in 2011) are among children in India," said WHO.
Asia has 60% of the hungry people in the world, says UN
- coronavirus vaccine tests on monkeys risk disease, warns PETA India
- Jio creates Made-in-India 5G solution; teams up with Google to develop affordable smartphones
- TMC leader shot at in West Bengal, condition critical
- Punjab Police to draw experts to sharpen investigations
- People ignore SOPs, masks while corona spreads in Kashmir