Tata Sky's latest offering may bring a new lease of life for local Indian theatre
- In an interview,
Tata Sky’s Chief Commercial Officer said they are looking at bringing regional theatre content online.
- Tata Sky had launched
Tata Sky Theatrein 2018.
- Hotstar already has Cineplay where it offers viewers Indian plays online.
But now, OTT is making space for the local Indian theatre on their platforms. Tata Sky which introduced Tata Sky Theatre last year now plans to bring regional plays on board.
This will be a big boost to Indian regional theatre giving them the chance to move beyond logistical problems and offer their content to viewers across the country, online.
Tata Sky Theatre was launched at a monthly subscription price of ₹75 and is still in its initial phases. "This is just the beginning. We are taking baby steps now. We are now looking at regional content,” said Pallavi Puri, Chief Commercial Officer, Tata Sky in an interview.
The concept of bringing Indian theatre on OTT platforms took off after theatre artists realised the need to broaden the audience for their plays, also given the pressure from these online platforms and the numerous shows they produce.
Actor and theatre artiste Nandita Das launched Cineplay in 2014 in association with Hotstar to make Indian plays available online. Through this, viewers already have access to plays like “Between The Lines,” “Dance Like a Man” and more. Indian theatre groups are also attracting audiences online by creating trailers for their plays.
Netflix is testing its cheapest ever plan in India — Here’s why it might work
Netflix, Amazon Prime and Hotstar are making sure box office registers don’t ring
Video did not kill the Indian radio star – not yet
Popular on BI
- OnePlus blames voltage fluctuation after a user reports Nord 2 charger explosion
- Dropbox's billionaire founder Drew Houston says the 40-hour office week is a thing of the past and the pandemic has changed work forever
- Facebook pumping $50 million into its metaverse project is another sign that Zuckerberg doesn’t want to miss the crypto bus
- Aditya Birla Sun Life AMC IPO opens today, analysts bet high on the growing mutual fund industry
- Paras Defence and Space Technologies IPO: How to check for your refund if you have not received the allotment
- Buy biodegradable sanitary pads for women in India
- Best baby booster seat in India
- Amazon-backed Capital Float plans to go big in the buy now, pay later segment; raises $50 million