Xiaomi's new smartphone concept has a screen that wraps almost all the way around the phone's body, and it makes even brand-new smartphones look old-fashioned
- Xiaomi's Mi Mix Alpha concept smartphone has a screen that almost wraps around the entirety of the phone's body.
- As far as the Mi Mix Alpha's body is concerned, it's only a thin ceramic strip where the phone's triple-camera system is seated.
- It's just a concept so far, but Xiaomi has apparently thought about some of the concerns we already have, like scratching the screen when we put in down on a surface. Xiaomi says the Mi Mix Alpha's screen would be made of sapphire glass, which is extremely scratch-resistant.
- Visit Business Insider's homepage for more stories.
Chinese tech giant Xiaomi just revealed on Tuesday a new 5G concept smartphone called the Mi Mix Alpha. It has a screen that wraps almost all the way around the phone, and it looks utterly incredible.
The only thing preventing the screen from wrapping around the phone entirely is a thin ceramic strip along the back where the Mi Mix Alpha's triple-lens camera system is seated.
The Mi Mix Alpha doesn't look like a phone you'd ever want to put down on any surface for the fear of scratching it. But that's fine, because it's just a concept that no one can buy or use right now.
However, Xiaomi appears to have thought of that, even for the concept. The company said the Mi Mix Alpha's glass is 2.88g sapphire. To be honest, I'm not sure that that means, but I do know that sapphire is designed to be extremely scratch-resistant.
Oh, and the Mi Mix Alpha's frame would be made of "TC4 aerospace-grade titanium alloy" that Xiaomi says is three times as strong as steel. Casual.
There's no telling how much this marvel costs, or even if it'll ever make it to store shelves. After all, Xiaomi itself said it's a concept. Either way, it should be a hint to all smartphone makers for what to do in the next few years. I am ready for it.
Check out the Xiaomi Mi Mix Alpha:
The Xiaomi Mi Mix Alpha is essentially a phone that's almost entirely made of screen. It has a 180.6% screen-to-body ratio, Xiaomi said.
The Mi Mix Alpha looks better while charging than any other smartphone.
Even when it's telling you that you have a notification, it looks better than any other smartphone.
The sides have pressure-sensitive sensors, presumably for the power and volume buttons.
It simply looks better than any other smartphone, period.
- Reliance Industries will be hosting its 45th AGM this month — all your need to know
- Great Freedom Festival deals on kitchen products—buy induction cooker, microwave oven, mixer grinder, and more at discount
- Best Amazon deals on large appliances - AC, TV, Fridge, Washing machine, Dishwasher
- Best deals on fashion and beauty during Amazon Great Freedom Festival
- Best deals on furniture items during the sale