Xiaomi's Redmi Note 7 Pro just launched in India with a 48-megapixel camera — But will that really make a difference to your photos?
- Redmi launched their new smartphone, the
Redmi Note 7Pro, with a 48-megapixel camera in India today.
- The price of the Redmi Note 7 Pro start at ₹13,999 for the 4GB RAM and 64GB storage version.
- However, higher megapixels don’t always mean a ‘better’ picture, but a ‘larger’ picture.
- While there may be cases where more megapixels make sense, it doesn’t make sense for an average user.
The phone has been launched at a competitive price of ₹13,999 for the 4GB RAM and 64GB storage— at par with the device's price in the China market where it was launched 2 months ago. The 6GB RAM and 128GB storage version will cost ₹16,999.
While the Redmi Note 7 Pro has all the makings of a good 'value-for-money' smartphone, with a curved glass back and the Qualcomm Snapdragon 660 chipset, the 48-megapixel camera stands out.
The camera conundrum
Every smartphone brand in India seems to be honing in on the megapixel race from Huawei and their launch of the Nova 4 in December to Samsung and Huawei’s sub-brand, Honor, having plans of launching a ‘48-megapixel’ camera phone later this year.
While there are a lot of reasons to run to shelves and pick the phone that has more megapixels than ever before, there are many more to stick to a camera between 18-24 megapixels. Because after a certain point, megapixels don’t really matter.
Those extra megapixels go to waste
They won’t be able to tell the difference
It’s not the pixels, it’s the sensors
There’s a chance that photos might turn out worse
But, here’s where it might make sense
From tech term to ‘buzzword’
Popular on BI
- Financial inclusion made easy for India’s small merchants with Paytm’s pioneering QR codes and Soundbox
- This frequent flyer who's been 'skiplagging' for a decade says she has 'no remorse and no angst'
- Personal trainer Kelsey Wells' protein-packed go-to smoothie is a 'meal in a cup' that tastes like cookie batter
- Sensex, Nifty50 likely to open flat amid mixed global cues: Adani Ports, RIL, IRCTC among stocks in focus
- These are must to do activities in Shimla on your next visit
- ONGC to invest ₹1 lakh cr in energy transition, targets net-zero by 2038
- List of famous things to buy in Shimla
- With Rupay Credit Card on UPI, mobile payments pioneer Paytm deepens its leadership in UPI