Yahoo may let Facebook sell ads on Tumblr to get the business back on track
Michael Seto/Business Insider
The website is only able to sell ads on 10% to 15% of its available inventory of web pages, according to a new report in The Information, which cites anonymous sources.
The solution: a partnership with Facebook.
According to the report, Yahoo and Facebook are in discussions about a deal that would allow Facebook to sells ads on Tumblr web pages. The Facebook-brokered ads would arrive on Tumblr via the Facebook Audience Network, the service where Facebook helps marketers place their ads beyond Facebook's own social network.
The move is the latest sign of Tumblr's efforts to boost its advertising revenue. Tumblr recently restructured its sales group, following a botched sales integration effort with parent company Yahoo.
And Tumblr removed a big barrier to brands buying ads on its site by eliminating the requirement that advertisers must maintain their own Tumblr blogs.
Whether all this is enough to revitalize the Tumblr ad business remains to be seen. But Yahoo CEO Marissa Mayer need to show improvements soon, given that activist investors are breathing down her neck and demanding a sale of the company.
Yahoo and Facebook were not immediately available for comment.
- Airlines can now operate 85% of pre-Covid domestic flights, says Aviation Ministry
- Yes Bank-DHFL case: No sympathy, says court, Rana Kapoor's wife, daughters remanded to judicial custody
- Punjab Chief Minister Amarinder Singh resigns amid ongoing turmoil in Congress
- Future of Work 2021: Work from home is here now, but people demand some physical sense at work
- Deadline for PAN-Aadhaar linkage extended till March 2022