Yahoo's new search tool fixes one of the biggest problems with email
It's super common for e-mail users, like me, to use their e-mail as a total online life archive. Photos, documents, coupons, whatever else I need, I just do a Gmail search and dig through messages dating back to 2007 until I find what I was looking for.The new Yahoo Mail search is designed with that in mind. If you search for "Photos from Disneyland," its algorithm will apparently go to work and just display an impromptu photo gallery culled from your messages.
Google, the world's No.1 Internet search company, has tried to tackle this problem from a different direction. The company takes a more proactive approach with tools like the Inbox app and Google Now, which automatically surface information inside of emails that it thinks are relevant based on contex such as geographic location and time of day. But Google's actual email search function works mostly the same as it has for the last almost-decade.For Yahoo CEO Marissa Mayer, a former Google executive who for years oversaw the design of Google's search engine, the focus on email search is a natural move. Mayer recently amended Yahoo's search partnership with Microsoft, giving Yahoo new freedom to develop search offerings.
The technology that Yahoo is employing here will also go into other products like Fantasy Sports and the new Livetext app, per that report. It can also be used for smarter, more personal search.It's an important move for Yahoo, which has spent most of the last decade allowing Google to leapfrog it in terms of search innovation. Now let's see how the new email search tool works in real life.
- OPPO A74 smartphone with 5G support and 90Hz display to launch in India soon, to be priced under ₹20,000
- VCs say 10 unicorns in 4 months may seem too small by the end of this year
- Timelapse in Google Earth shows you the slow and scary demise of our only home in 3D
- Bhima Jewellery’s ‘Pure as love’ campaign is trending, and for all the right reasons
- Samsung Galaxy M42 5G to launch in India on April 28 – Specs, expected price and everything we know so far