You can get a great 4K and HDR TV for incredibly cheap these days - but there are 10 hidden costs you haven't thought of when you go to 4K
That's a seriously budget-conscious price tag for a large TV that comes with 4K resolution and supports HDR - a feature that gives movies and TV shows a boost in color and contrast quality (at least for content that supports HDR).I've tried TCL's earlier 5-series 4K HDR TVs, and they are absolutely fantastic. They also run on the same operating system as Roku's media streamers, which is great. It's like having a Roku media streamer built into the TV.Advertisement
But upgrading to 4K from a standard 1080p resolution TV - which I'll call "HD" from now on - comes with a few extra costs that aren't immediately obvious when you're handing over your credit card information to pay for a new 4K TV. If you want to make the most of a new 4K TV, you'll need to upgrade a few things.
I've listed below 10 things that you'll likely need to upgrade to make the most of a new 4K TV. To be clear, you don't need to upgrade anything I've listed. However, you may be left wondering why you bought a 4K TV if you don't.Check out what you'll need to upgrade if you buy a new 4K TV:
1. You'll need to upgrade Netflix if you have it.
2. You may need to upgrade your internet speeds.Advertisement
3. You may need to upgrade your video games console.
4. You may need to upgrade your media streaming device.Advertisement
5. If you like buying Blu-ray versions of your favorite movies and TV shows, you may need to upgrade your Blu-ray player.
6. Your HD Blu-ray collection.Advertisement
8. If you often stream movie rentals or download movies to buy, 4K versions of the content you want is more expensive.
9. Your digital library of HD movies and TV shows that you purchased won't be upgraded to 4K for free, unless you're an iTunes user.Advertisement
10. If you value your entertainment enough that you're willing to upgrade everything to 4K, you may want to get a separate sound system for your new 4K TV.
If you only watch cable TV – no streaming services or video games – there isn't much need to buy a 4K TV.Advertisement
- Africa's confirmed COVID-19 cases now above a half-million
- Essel Propack sees 'exciting opportunities' in post-COVID-19 world
- RBSE 12th result 2020: Rajasthan board results declared, pass percentage drops slightly to 91.9%
- Supreme Court withdraws order of registering BS-IV vehicles post lockdown
- Sensex snaps 5-day winning streak, tanks 345.51 pts