You can now watch Major League Baseball games on Yahoo - for free
The service launched Monday afternoon by broadcasting the season opener between the San Francisco Giants and the Milwaukee Brewers. In total, Yahoo will broadcast 180 games in total for the whole season. Games in local markets will be blacked out, due to the league's agreement with local sports broadcasters.The move is the latest in Yahoo's efforts to boost its sports content business and general live streaming technology. Yahoo is also offering free broadcasts of select NHL games this season, and was the first online provider to live stream an NFL game last year. Yahoo is even live streaming Warren Buffett's Berkshire Hathaway annual meeting this year.
In fact, Yahoo CEO Marissa Mayer said in its most recent earnings call that the NFL live stream brought in 30 different brands for over roughly 70 ad spots. She also stressed that Yahoo sold out all ad spots for the game, although there's been some reports of Yahoo slashing the ad price due to low demand.In any case, Yahoo seems focused on staying relevant in the live streaming space, an area that's seen major competition from big tech companies like Facebook, Snapchat, and Twitter. If it can continue to grow its presence there, while also expanding its sports content offering, Yahoo might be able to win back some of the support from investors who've been calling for the company to narrow its focus to few growth businesses.
- Indian grooming startup Bombay Shaving Company gets ₹45 crore investment from Dettol maker Reckitt Benckiser
- Top stocks to watch on January 28
- Farmer unions cancel Budget day march to Parliament, but say their agitation will continue
- 9 people died and 16 hospitalised out of 23,28,779 people vaccinated till now in India, but Additional Secretary, Health, said that none of the deaths are linked to the Covid-19 vaccination
- Naidu reviews arrangements for Budget Session of Parliament