YouTube stars are using keywords like 'surprise toys' and 'slime' to reach young viewers
Ryan ToysReview /YouTube
- Talent manager and president of Night Media, Reed Duchscher, spoke to Business Insider about what keywords his clients use to attract views.
- A recent study from the Pew Research Center found that videos with keywords like "prank" or "Fortnite" in the title receive five times the views as videos without those words.
- Duchscher confirmed that, and added that words like "secret," "surprise," and "slime" are popular right now for reaching young viewers.
- Visit Business Insider's homepage for more stories.
Some of YouTube's most popular videos right now are targeted toward kids. And some creators strategically reach young viewers by placing popular keywords in the title of their videos.Two popular keywords for drawing in younger viewers right now are "secret" or "surprise" toys, and "slime," Reed Duchscher, president of the talent management agency Night Media, told Business Insider. Advertisement
The popular kids toy unboxing channel, "Ryan Toys Review," is a perfect example of this. Ryan Toys' most popular video is titled, "HUGE EGGS surprise Toys Challenge with Inflatable water slide," and has 1.8 billion views.
A recent report from the Pew Research Center found that videos with keywords like "prank" or "Fortnite" in the title receive five times the views as videos without those words.Duchscher said that his clients use keywords to attract views and as a way to help their videos get promoted to YouTube's trending page.
YouTube's content targeted specifically toward children has caused some controversy. After the Federal Trade Commission began investigating YouTube's handling of children's videos, the company recently made some changes to its algorithm - and some channels with kids related content have noticed a significant drop in views, Bloomberg reported.
For more about how YouTube creators use keywords to draw in different audiences, check out the full interview with Duchscher on Business Insider Prime:
- US House Speaker tests positive for coronavirus
- Assam's COVID-19 tally rises to 11,736 with 735 fresh cases
- Kerala govt makes compulsory for public to follow COVID-19 norms till 2021
- Jharkhand reports 53 new cases of COVID-19, 1 more death
- COVID-19: Delhi govt orders compulsory rapid antigen detection test for high-risk individuals