Carl Pei’s Nothing raises $70 million ahead of its March 23 event – rumoured Nothing smartphone could be officially announced
- OnePlus co-founder Carl
Pei’s NothingTech has announced a $70 million fundraise, taking the total to $144 million.
- Pei also revealed that Nothing’s 2022 product roadmap will be revealed on March 23, and it could be the launch of the Nothing smartphone.
- Apart from the lead investors, this $70 million fundraise saw participation from Google’s venture capital arm and iPod inventor Tony Fadell.
AdvertisementCarl Pei’s Nothing Tech has raised $70 million in its latest round of funding as the company looks to unveil its 2022 product roadmap at a March 23 event called ‘The Truth’.
The Series B fundraise is led by EQT Ventures, which has invested in a European tech company called Instabox, among others, and C Ventures, which has invested in companies like Casetify, Animoca Brands, among others. The fundraise also saw participation from GV (formerly known as Google Ventures), and iPod inventor Tony Fadell’s Future Shape.
Nothing’s latest fundraise is almost equivalent to the amount it has raised so far. With this round, it has now raised $144 million, with investments from GV, YouTuber Casey Neistat, Kevin Lin (co-founder of Twitch) and Steve Huffman (co-founder of Reddit).
“With this round of financing, we have the fuel to realise the next phase of our vision of a seamless digital future. Our first year was a warmup, and we can’t wait to reveal what we’re building at Nothing during the upcoming event,” said Carl Pei, the cofounder and chief executive officer of Nothing.
Could it be the Nothing smartphone?
The $70 million fundraising announcement comes at a time when rumours of the Nothing smartphone are flying thick and fast. Notably, Carl Pei had himself started teasing the smartphone, with Google and Qualcomm joining him on Twitter.
The Android smartphone from Nothing is expected to be announced next month. The company has been working on the device for over a year now and a prototype of the device was reportedly showcased during the Mobile World Congress (MWC) earlier this month.
At the moment, we don’t know much about Nothing’s rumoured Android smartphone. However, if the ‘ear 1’ earbuds are anything to go by, we could see a mix of a unique design coupled with a fairly aggressive price tag, especially in markets like India.
Nothing Android smartphone prototype shown off at Mobile World Congress 2022, says a new report
Carl Pei hints at a possible Nothing Android smartphone with a Snapdragon chip
Redmi Note 11 Pro, Redmi Note 11 Pro+ and Redmi Watch 2 Lite launched in India
Popular on BI
- A 29-year-old woman found a mark on her head and was diagnosed with a fungal infection. It turned out to be invasive skin cancer.
- Elon Musk told his 76-year-old dad Errol to 'keep quiet' in a text message after he said he wasn't proud of his son, report says
- JPMorgan CEO Jamie Dimon told wealthy clients there's a chance the US is heading into 'something worse' than a recession, report says
- Nepotism and termite-like corruption dented India : Modi
- Modi lists five pledges to turn India into a developed country in 25 years
- There will be a major shift in the way Indians shop and consume brands
- Modi remembers Nehru and Sarvarkar in his speech today
- Made-in-India gun used for 1st time for ceremonial salute at Red Fort on Independence Day