Three-year-old Jio is now making $2 billion in 3 months — and it is weeding out the low-spenders and making data addicts pay more
- Mukesh Ambani’s telecom venture, which was known for its freebies, is now looking to milk its subscribers.
- After recent tariff hikes, the company’s average revenue per user has improved to ₹128.
- Marginal users who were using Jio only for dirt-cheap voice calls are leaving the network, CFO Alok Agarwal said.
- The liability due to Supreme Court’s verdict on unpaid licence fees and spectrum usage charges is just ₹177 crore for Jio.
- Whereas the same liability is so huge for Vodafone-Idea, it is feared to be the death knell for Jio’s rival owned by the Birlas.