Swiggy is expanding by four cities a day, aims to be in 600 by 2020
Swiggyis now present in 500 cities.
- The company also said that one in four Indians has access to Swiggy.
- Swiggy has also seen a rise in the number of its delivery executives moving back to their hometowns to work there.
“As we work towards enabling this for a billion Indians, expanding to Tier 3 and 4 cities is a critical step. Our steady expansion in these cities has shown that there is a growing need for quality food, convenience and accessibility in smaller towns,” Vivek Sunder, chief operating officer, Swiggy, said.
The company also said that one in four Indians has access to Swiggy now.
Swiggy built some interesting use cases as it expands to newer markets. In the hilly city of Shimla, Swiggy executives deliver food on foot. In Guntur of Andhra Pradesh, the app received more than 2,500 orders on the first day of its launch.
As it expands to cities beyond Tier 1, Swiggy is also saw that a number of its delivery executives are moving back to their hometowns, to work.
Swiggy became one of India’s fastest unicorn in June last year, getting the prime status within four years of operations. In December 2018, the food delivery startup further raked in a whopping $1 billion in funding, taking p its valuation to $3.3 billion.
Advertisement“With this funding, we will further invest in building differentiated offerings, plugging the white spaces in the ecosystem, and developing our technology while keeping superlative customer experience at the core," said Sriharsha Majety, CEO, Swiggy had then said.
The startup expanded its offerings to include Swiggy stores and Swiggy Go, on-demand delivery services.
Popular on BI
- Sports NFT platforms have racked up nearly $1 billion in funding this week alone, despite market slump
- COVID-19 virus likely to get weaker and become a common cold, says Oxford-AstraZeneca vax creator
- Best teether for growing baby in India
- TiE Delhi-NCR kickstarts the 10th Edition of India Internet Day themed Digital India: Escape Velocity
- Volkswagen Taigun: All you need to know about price, features and rivals