El Salvador's adoption of bitcoin as legal tender poses challenges for the network, JPMorgan says
- El Salvador's
bitcoinplans could be a practical challenge for its network, JPMorgansaid.
- Only a small fraction of bitcoin trading volumes has gone towards economic activity.
- The nature of bitcoin's volume is a limitation on its potential as a medium of exchange, they said.
El Salvador's decision to adopt bitcoin as legal tender poses some systemic risks for the country and the digital asset's blockchain, according to JPMorgan.
Doubt remains about whether the bitcoin blockchan can practically handle a significant fraction of payment activity were it to become widely used, a team of economists including Steven Palacio, Ben Ramsey, and Joshua Younger wrote in a note published Thursday.
Bitcoin trading volumes commonly exceed between $40-50 billion a day, most of this activity is internalized by major exchanges, they said, adding that on-chain transactions have averaged around $10 billion daily in recent months.
Of that total, only a small fraction represents economic activity or payment made towards a merchant.
A large chunk of bitcoin in circulation is held up in illiquid entities, with more than 90% not being used in any type of transactions for over a year "as well as a significant and rising fraction held by wallets with light turnover," JPMorgan said.
This means only a very tiny fraction is available for use in everyday transactions.
"Though these aspects do not necessarily challenge the use of bitcoin as a store of value, they are potentially a significant limitation on its potential as a medium of exchange," the bank's economists said.
"Daily payment activity in
The bank also highlighted a study conducted by El Salvador's Chamber of Industry and Trade, showing that most participants would convert bitcoin to dollars for current expenses if they receive the cryptocurrency as payment. More than 90% of businesses and individuals said they would prefer usage to be optional, expressing fears of volatility and lack of understanding about how it works.
- Realme GT Neo 2 5G review: Great performance, fine display but camera needs work
- Cisco says a company 'leader' who encouraged TikTok followers to report strippers to the IRS is no longer employed at the company
- A half-mile installation just took 20,000 pounds of plastic out of the Pacific - proof that ocean garbage can be cleaned
- G7 leaders favour CBDCs provided they ‘support and do no harm’ to central banks
- India's farmers protest takes a gruesome turn with a chilling murder at the scene — here’s the sequence of events
- Bizarre! Shubhman Gill was brought back to bat after being declared out
- Ruturaj Gaikwad and Faf du Plessis — amazing data on how the two openers led CSK to IPL 2021 championship
- Budget and safety top criteria for Chennai households during festive season:LocalCircles
- India T20 World cup Jersey
- Photo Editors Apps
- Advantage Club Hiring
- Best Indian Companies
- Dussehra Messages
- Punit Goenka
- Motorola Edge 20 Mobile
- Google TV stick vs Amazon Fire TV stick
- Oneplus 9rt smartphone
- Samsung Galaxy M52 review
- Nykaa IPO
- India Coal Crisis
- iPhone 13 vs iPhone 13 mini
- IRCTC Share price
- Maximum Sixes
- Tata Sons