'Downton Abbey' takes down 'Ad Astra' and 'Rambo' to win the weekend box office
- "Downton Abbey" won the weekend box office with an estimated $31 million at the domestic box office.
- It's the biggest opening ever for a Focus Features movie.
- In second place was the Disney/Fox release "Ad Astra," starring Brad Pitt, with $19.2 million.
- Visit Business Insider's homepage for more stories.
Though it has been off the air for four years there is clearly still an audience for "Downton Abbey."The big screen version of the show opened in theaters this weekend and the movie brought in an estimated $31 million at the domestic box office:Advertisement
- That made the movie number one at the box office.
- The $31 million take is the biggest opening ever for its distributor, Focus Features (beating out the $22.6 million opening by 2015's "Insidious: Chapter 3").
Out of that group, "Ad Astra" took the second place slot this weekend with $19.2 million. A good start for a movie Disney is hoping will gain traction as we go deeper into award season.Advertisement
- Migrant workers who have returned to UP will need CM Yogi Adityanath's permission to work
- CEO buys struggling New Zealand media company for USD 1
- 4 fresh cases of COVID-19 in Himachal Pradesh; tally rises to 208
- Hiring now! Check out these job openings at Indian startups during the COVID-19 pandemic
- Raymond lays off hundreds of employees— some of them say they haven’t received the promised severance pay