This $60 cotton shirt from Everlane is the perfect oversized button-up
- Everlane's $60 Silky Cotton Oversized Shirt is the perfect iteration of the oversized button-up.
- Drapery along the shoulder blades creates an oversized look without adding bulk, and the material is slightly smoother than traditional cotton.
- It's also easy to care for: throw it in the washing machine and tumble dry on low.
If you've spent time online, you're probably familiar with the "expectation" vs "reality" formula used to communicate the disconnect between what we often hope to be true, and what is in fact true.
For me, no piece of clothing embodies this principle better than the oversized button up.
In my mind, an oversized button-up creates a mirage of the effortless, masculine-chic of former rom-com stars - the Diane Keatons, Meg Ryans, and Julia Roberts. But in reality, it more often looks like your older brother's hand-me-down - a deflated cotton parachute you need to be cut out of.
Everlane's $60 Silky Cotton Oversized Shirt is the affordable exception to this rule. It's tapered where it should be (your arms, your sides) and voluminous where it should be (your back) so you don't lose your shape entirely. Thanks to smart pleating across the shoulder blades, the "oversized" effect is achieved mostly through draping, so it doesn't balloon out indiscriminately when tucked in. In the end, the fit is relaxed and refined.
My Blue Indigo shirt also has a slight luxe sheen to it, thanks to the "Silky Cotton" that makes it feel smoother and slicker than traditional cotton. Like all cotton, it's cooling and soft. It's also easy to care for; machine wash it, and if you're feeling attentive, tumble dry low. I typically skip the latter, and it's survived intact in texture and color thus far.
It's a classic, so it comes in classic colors - black, blue indigo, off-white, and grey and white pinstripes. It's lightweight, so I can't speak to the sheerness of lighter colors, but I can wear black undergarments underneath the Indigo without issue. It's true to size, and comes in sizes 00 through size 16.
While you can find cheaper button-ups elsewhere, I haven't found a better option for an oversized fit. There are more expensive options - like Ayr's $125 Deep End shirt - but this is the best option I've found for the price.
Overall, it's the shortcut for a closet staple that's easy to do incorrectly. Per Everlane's description, it is, in fact, "that perfect button-down you can never find, found." It's got the breathability and softness of something you'd scout secondhand stores for, and the intuitive design that's most successfully found in of-the-moment production.
Subscribe to our newsletter.
Find all the best offers at our Coupons page.
Disclosure: This post is brought to you by the Insider Picks team. We highlight products and services you might find interesting. If you buy them, we get a small share of the revenue from the sale from our commerce partners. We frequently receive products free of charge from manufacturers to test. This does not drive our decision as to whether or not a product is featured or recommended. We operate independently from our advertising sales team. We welcome your feedback. Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- India's 'FIA Global' pivotal to Nepal's growing GDP in 2022
- Indian government is softening the inflation blow with export bans, duty cuts and subsidies
- Artificial intelligence has helped in developing a drug that can cure COVID-19 patients
- Key facts about Texas mass shooting incident and America’s complex love affair with guns
- Sandalwood smuggler Veerappan's elder brother dies of cardiac arrest
- Delhivery IPO allotment
- Reliance Retail
- Bitcoin Mining
- Reliance JIO
- Best Deal on Smartphones
- Unacademy offline Classes
- Hubble Space
- 5G Phones Under Rs. 20000
- Paytm Market Value
- Reliance Industries
- Venus Pipes Tubes IPO
- Hiring in BEL
- Adani Green
- Paradeep Phosphates balance sheet
- Spam Calls in India
- Whatsapp Reaction