Chhath Puja 2021: Date, time and details about puja procedure
- Chhath Puja is a four day long puja for Hindus in some states of India dedicated to worshipping Sun god.
- Hindus in the states of Bihar, Jharkhand and Uttar Pradesh and neighboring country Nepal celebrate Chhath Puja.
- Women observe a day long fast on this day to please sun god and win his blessings for the welfare and prosperity of the household.
On the first three days of Chhath Puja, women observe fasting from sunrise to sunset. On the final day of Chhath puja, offerings are made to sun god and the puja is concluded with prayers for the family. Here is what you must do on the four days to celebrate Chhath Puja in a traditional way.
Chhath Puja – Day 1: Monday, November 8, 2021
This is the first day of Chhath Puja marked on the Shukla Paksha Chaturthi tithi of Karthik month. This event is known as Nahay Khay. The main activity of this day is taking a holy dip in Ganga or any other holy river or water body. On this day, the sunrise time is 6:38 am and the sunset time is 5:31 pm. After holy bath, the fast must start and conclude with the sunrise and sunset on this first day of puja.
Chhath Puja – Day 2: Tuesday, November 9, 2021
The second day puja of the Chhath puja is also known as Kharna observed on the Panchami Tithi. On this day, women observe the day long fast for the second day. The fast on this day is called Nirjala Vrat meaning the observers do not even consume water during the fast. The fast starts during sunrise and ends with sunset. On this day, the sunrise time is 6:39 am and the sunset time is 5:31 pm. 2
Chhath Puja – Day 3: Wednesday, November 10, 2021
The main Chhath Puja rituals are performed on the third day of the Chhath Puja during Sashti tithi. The main activity on this day is called Sandhya Arghya (water offering to sun god). The deities worshipped on this day are sun god, Usha (goddess of dawn) and Pratyusha (goddess of dusk). On this day, the sunrise time is 6:40 am and the sunset time is 5:30 pm.
Chhath Puja – Day 4: Thursday, November 11, 2021
The fourth day of Chhath puja observed during the Saptami tithi is also known as Usha Arghya. On this day, women observing fast do puja to sun god and break the fast on this day. On this day, the sunrise time is 6:41 am and the sunset time is 5:29 pm.
Solana is now the fourth-biggest cryptocurrency in the world as it doubles down on gaming in the crypto universe
Popular on BI
- US sees highest rate of COVID-19 hospitalisations for children below 17 years
- Wealth of India's ten richest enough to fund school, higher education of every child for 25 years, reveals Oxfam study
- Kathak's living legend Pandit Birju Maharaj dies at 83
- HDFC Bank, HCL Tech, Indian Oil, Hero MotoCorp and other hot stocks on January 17
- Even after the LIC IPO, Indian government may be well short of its divestment target — for a third year in a row