Indian government wants to tap into your WhatsApp messages, other social media
- Information and Broadcasting Ministry to set up a hub to collect, analyse citizens’ digital and
- SC said that it will be “like creating a surveillance state”.
- SC issued a notice and sought a reply from the Centre within two weeks.
Under the project, media persons would be employed for every district to be the “eyes and ears” of the government and they would need to provide real-time updates from their location. The document mentions that the platform is expected to provide automated reports, tactical insights and comprehensive work-flows on initiating engagement across digital channels.
Complimentary Tech Event
Transform talent with learning that works
Capability development is critical for businesses who want to push the envelope of innovation.Discover how business leaders are strategizing around building talent capabilities and empowering employee transformation.Know More
On a plea made by
Moitra’s advocate informed the court that the government has issued A request for proposals and the tender for creating the hub shall be opened on 20 August. “They want to monitor social media content with the help of this social media hub,” the advocate said, pointing out that this will be done by tracking their social media accounts on Twitter, Facebook and
The bench then said it is listing the matter for 3 August, before the tender is opened and the Attorney-General or any law officer from the government will be assisting the court in the matter.
This is not the first time that the court is hearing such a plea. On 18 June this year, the court had been requested an urgent hearing on similar issues without much resulting from it.
Popular on BI
- Air India passengers stranded in Siberia for 2 days were abandoned by the crew, had to sleep on the floor, and were only given bread and rice, relative says
- Foreign investors have been dumping vast amounts of Chinese assets, and putting money there will only get riskier
- As a mom, I know punishments don't work. Parents should be trying to find a connection instead.
- Sensex, Nifty slip for second day; FMCG, IT stocks drag
- Air India puts together 'huge financing deal' for new fleet: CEO
- Marine species including whales and dolphins under significant threat from noise pollution
- ITR filing: Your guide to Form 26AS and why you should check for TDS discrepancies
- A complete itinerary for your 3 days in Mount Abu