Aly Raisman feels guilty that young gymnasts sought out Larry Nassar to be more like her
- Aly Raisman joined other gymnasts in testifying about Larry Nassar's sexual abuse to Congress.
- She said she feels guilt because young survivors sought out Nassar to have "the same doctor as us."
- "It takes everything I have to work on not taking the blame for that," Raisman said.
Aly Raisman says she feels guilty that younger gymnasts sought out treatment from Larry Nassar because they wanted to be like her and other Olympians.
"I can't tell you how horrifying it is to meet young girls who look up to me, who watched me compete in the Olympics, and tell me that they went to see Nassar because of me and my teammates, because they wanted to see the Olympic doctor," Raisman said on Wednesday during a Senate Judiciary hearing. "In his office, Nassar's office, he had some photos of us, so they went to see him because they thought it was so cool to have the same doctor as us."
Raisman testified alongside fellow gymnasts Simone Biles, McKayla Maroney, and Maggie Nichols as part of a hearing about the FBI's failings in the Nassar case. She detailed her own experience reporting the sexual abuse she faced from Nassar in her opening statements in the hearing, saying the FBI made her feel like what happened "wasn't a big deal."
The FBI's treatment of her experience and failure to take allegations against Nassar seriously "was like serving innocent children up to a pedophile on a silver platter," Raisman said, as it enabled the disgraced doctor to find "more than 100 new victims to molest."
Some of those survivors may have been the same ones who went to Nassar because he had worked with Raisman and her Olympic teammates. That's not lost on Raisman.
"That's been one of the hardest, most devastating parts for me," Raisman said. "So many survivors suffer with guilt and shame, and so it takes everything I have to work on not taking the blame for that. It's horrific and it's horrible to meet them and know that 100 victims could have been spared the abuse."
"All we needed was one adult to do the right thing," she added.
You can watch Raisman's entire response to Sen. Richard Blumenthal below:
-CSPAN (@cspan) September 15, 2021
- It’s good that India wants just two GST slabs but it has to ensure it doesn’t hurt consumers
- Best car seat for kids in India
- Best glass feeding bottle for newborn babies in India
- Best toddler bags for kids in India
- Best smartwatch under ₹15000 in India