Rakesh Jhunjhunwala’s top five stocks delivered 3 times the returns Nifty50 did
- India’s Big Bull, Rakesh Jhunjhunwala is no more, but he leaves behind a rich legacy for investors and his optimism is reflected in how his investments have performed over time.
- From India’s largest branded jewelry maker Titan to new-age tech startups, Jhunjhunwala invested in a wide range of companies and verticals, instead of confining himself to a particular sector.
- Here are the top Rakesh Jhunjhunwala stocks and how some of them have performed since the Covid pandemic broke out.
AdvertisementRakesh Jhunjhunwala was fondly known as The Big Bull for his optimism and positive outlook on the Indian stock markets and economy. He passed away a day before India’s 75th Independence Day, but his name continues to carry weight amongst the company stocks that he owned.
Jhunjhunwala was never shy when it came to expressing his opinions, but one thing that he was unabashed about was his unwavering belief and optimism about the India growth story. This is despite him making a bulk of his wealth by shorting stocks, not going long on them.
Amongst the Big Bull’s largest shareholdings, Tata companies shine – more specifically, Jhunjhunwala was big on Titan, India’s largest branded jewelry maker. Of his nearly $4 billion stock holdings, Titan alone comes in at over $1.4 billion.
In fact, the top five – including Titan, Star Health, Metro Brands, Tata Motors and Crisil – account for over $3 billion of Jhunjhunwala’s stock investments.
|Company||Stake||Holding value||$ (approx.)|
|Titan||5.1%||₹11,087 crore||$1.4 billion|
|Star Health||17.5%||₹7,018 crore||$888 million|
|Metro Brands||14.4%||₹3,349 crore||$424 million|
|Tata Motors||1.1%||₹1,731 crore||$219 million|
|Crisil||5.5%||₹1,302 crore||$165 million|
|Fortis Healthcare||4.2%||₹899 crore||$114 million|
|Federal Bank||3.6%||₹839 crore||$106 million|
|Canara Bank||2%||₹822 crore||$104 million|
|Indian Hotels||2.1%||₹816 crore||$103 million|
|NCC||12.6%||₹505 crore||$64 million|
|Rallis India||9.8%||₹429 crore||$54 million|
|Nazara Technologies||10%||₹424 crore||$54 million|
|Jubilant Pharmova||6.8%||₹377 crore||$48 million|
|Jubilant Ingrevia||4.7%||₹359 crore||$45 million|
|Tata Communications||1.1%||₹337 crore||$42 million|
|Aptech||23.4%||₹225 crore||$28 million|
|Agro Tech Foods||8.2%||₹156 crore||$20 million|
|Va Tech Wabag||8%||₹124 crore||$16 million|
Source: Exchange filings
According to a Business Standard report, Rakesh Jhunjhunwala’s wealth increased nearly four times in the pandemic years – since 2020 till date. This is several times higher than returns from Nifty 50, which gave 46% returns in the same time period.
Here’s how Jhunjhunwala’s top five stocks have performed:
|Company||Current share price||Return since Jan-20|
*Went public in December 2021
Even without considering the two stocks which went public in December 2021, Titan, Tata Motors and Crisil have trounced the returns from Nifty 50 by a big margin.
AdvertisementHave you invested in any of these Rakesh Jhunjhunwala stocks?
Here’s a list of stocks that can benefit from the festive season
Here’s how much banks have increased home loan interest rates
Jio vs Airtel: Which one will offer faster and more reliable 5G services?
Popular on BI
- 'We will liberate ourselves from a colonial mindset': Jaishankar declares
- Free trade talks in final phase with Diwali deadline in sight, says London Lord Mayor
- India to work with G20 members over debt, food and energy security issues: Jaishankar
- Apple to launch new MacBook Pro models next month
- Amazon witnessed record Prime sign-ups during the Great Indian Festival Sale 2022, 68 percent from small towns