Not just LIC, 32 mutual fund houses have exposure to Adani Group stocks
- About 32 asset management companies have exposure to the group companies through 406 mutual funds schemes, as on December 2022, shows Value Research data.
- Active mutual fund managers are known to be largely staying away from Adani Group stocks.
- However, some of the group companies are part of the benchmark index, which brings exposure to Adani Group stocks by default as passive funds usually mimic the benchmark indices.
- Adani Enterprises and Adani Ports & SEZ are part of the Nifty 50 index, while Adani Green Energy and Adani Transmission are components of the Nifty Next 50 index.
AdvertisementThe rout in Gautam Adani led Adani Group has stolen the limelight and induced volatility in the market with a rapid decline in the market capitalization of all the group companies. This has raised fear of the increased exposure of retail investor’s favorite mutual funds to Adani Group stocks.
A Value Research report shows that 32 asset management companies have exposure to the group companies through 406 mutual funds schemes, as on December 2022.
Nearly 3 crore investors put their hard earned money into the stock market through mutual funds.
Sharp erosion of ₹11.17 lakh crore in market capitalisation of nine listed Adani Group companies since January 24 have had a deep cut in market and will also impact performance of schemes having exposure to these companies.
With this, Gautam Adani’s wealth in this period has also taken a hit, declining by $62.6 billion, taking him from the third to 21st place on Bloomberg Billionaires Index.
Active mutual fund managers are known to be largely staying away from Adani Group stocks. However, some of the group companies are part of the benchmark index, which brings exposure to Adani Group stocks by default as passive funds usually mimic the benchmark index.
Adani Enterprises and Adani Ports & SEZ are part of the Nifty 50 index, while Adani Green Energy and Adani Transmission are components of the Nifty Next 50 index.
SBI Mutual Fund has the highest exposure at ₹4,748 crore to the Adani Group companies in absolute terms followed by UTI MF - with ₹1,868 crore, and Kotak Mahindra MF - with ₹1,593 crore.
Also, SBI MF is the top mutual fund house with assets of ₹7.12 lakh crore as on December 2022, as per the Association of Mutual Funds in India (AMFI) data.
Here are the top 20 fund houses that have in terms of exposure to Adani Group companies:
|Mutual Fund Houses||Size of assets|
|SBI MF||₹4,748 crore|
|UTI MF||₹1,868 crore|
|Kotak Mahindra MF||₹1,593 crore|
|Nippon India MF||₹1,262 crore|
|ICICI Prudential MF||₹1,203 crore|
|HDFC MF||₹761 crore|
|Quant MF||₹695 crore|
|Aditya Birla Sun Life MF||₹398 crore|
|Tata MF||₹389 crore|
|NJ MF||₹297 crore|
|DSP MF||₹241 crore|
|IDFC MF||₹206 crore|
|Edelweiss MF||₹174 crore|
|Axis MF||₹154 crore|
|Mirae Asset MF||₹58 crore|
|HSBC MF||₹54 crore|
|Motilal Oswal MF||₹44 crore|
|LIC MF||₹39 crore|
|Sundaram MF||₹39 crore|
|PGIM MF||₹35.5 crore|
All the nine Adani Group stocks have been in deep red since January 24 when the Hindenburg report was published alleging stock manipulation, accounting fraud and substantial debt among others.
The report had sparked concerns about the group’s ability to repay loans and the exposure of Indian banks as well as the state-run insurer Life Insurance Corporation of India’s investment in Adani Group companies.
The company’s withdrawal of its ₹20,000 crore follow-on-public offering (FPO) also did not go well with the market sentiment.
In fact from today, stock exchange NSE has put Adani Enterprises, Adani Ports and SEZ and Ambuja Cements under short term additional surveillance measure (ASM).
“After the Adani crisis broke out, the market has been on a twin track - crash in Adani stocks and stability in the rest of the market. The banking segment, which also came under pressure on fears of the crisis impacting banks, has recovered. The crisis is unlikely to pose any systemic risk to the Indian banking system. It appears that the Adani crisis’ impact on the market is slowly dying down,” said V K Vijayakumar, chief investment strategist at Geojit Financial Services.
Adani Enterprises leads rally as the group adds ₹46,079 crore in marketcap on Tuesday
Adani Transmission reports 78% rise in Q3 net profit to ₹475 crore on one-time income
Vodafone Idea shares hit 25% upper circuit after govt agrees to convert ₹16,133 cr dues into equity
Popular on BI
- NSE, BSE to put Adani Power under short term ASM again
- Sensex, Nifty50 likely to open on a negative note following rate hike by US Fed’s FOMC: HAL, Hero MotoCorp, Global Surfaces among stocks to watch
- One can apply for job, give interviews while on tourist or business visa in US: Federal agency
- Industrialist Kumar Mangalam Birla, former CM S M Krishna & others conferred Padma awards
- Meet Rekha Rakesh Jhunjhunwala, the top Indian entrant in 2023 M3M Hurun Global Rich List