How to update Google Chrome on your computer or smartphone
- Google Chrome
updatesdownload automatically on every device by default.
- You'll need to restart Google
Chromeon your computer to let the updates actually install.
- On a smartphone or tablet, Chrome updates through the app store like any other app.
Here's how to
How to update Google Chrome on a Mac or PC
1. Open Google Chrome then and click the three dots at the top-right corner of the browser.
2. Click Update Google Chrome if it's available in the menu. You'll only see this option if an update is available and already downloaded, and clicking it will prompt you to restart Chrome.
Note: When you restart Chrome, it'll close all your tabs and windows, deleting any unsaved data in them. The tabs and windows will reopen when Chrome starts again, but without that unsaved data.
3. If you don't see the Update Google Chrome option, hover over Help and click About Google Chrome.
4. You'll be shown Chrome's current version number, and Chrome will check to see if any more updates are available. If it finds an update, it'll download and you'll be prompted to restart Chrome and install it.
How to update Google Chrome on an Android device
Like any other app, Chrome should update automatically when your Android is charging. But to check for an update manually:
1. Launch the Google Play Store on your Android phone or tablet.
2. Tap your profile picture in the top-right and select Manage apps & device from the menu.
3. You'll be shown some stats about your device's apps, and if updates are ready for any of them, it'll say Updates available. Tap See details under this heading.
4. If Google Chrome is in the list, tap Update next to it, or Update all at the top of the page. If Google Chrome isn't in the list, it's fully updated.
Just like on a computer, you shouldn't lose any of your open tabs when Chrome updates.
How to update Google Chrome on an iPhone or iPad
Like any other app, Chrome should update automatically when your iPhone or iPad is charging. But to check for an update manually:
1. Launch the App Store on your iPhone or iPad and tap your profile icon in the top-right corner.
2. On the page that opens, see if Google Chrome is listed as an app waiting to be updated. If it's there, tap Update or Update all; if it's not there, it's already fully updated.
You shouldn't lose any open tabs when you update Chrome.
Michelle Greenlee contributed to a previous version of this article.
- Elon Musk sparks another Shiba Inu rally ‘to the moon’ — other Shiba coins follow suit
- Elon Musk’s puppy, a new strategy to burn tokens, and altcoins playing catch up — the perfect storm for cryptocurrency Shiba Inu to skyrocket
- Chinese smartphone brands under scrutiny, government to check components, pre-installed apps: Report
- Best AMD desktop processors — which one to buy in India?
- Best AMD Ryzen laptops in India
- Best TVs with HDR support in India
- Bored Ape NFT sells for $2.7 million, making it the most expensive in Yacht Club collection
- Startup salaries have increased over 40% in the last six months