Big tech companies hired aggressively during the last financial crisis, and they're doing it again. Here's what Apple, Google, Amazon, and Facebook are looking for.
- The US job market is tanking, but tech giants are still hiring.
- Google, Amazon, and Apple are all hiring engineers, data scientists, and designers, according to job listings on CareerBuilder.
- Facebook has also said it will hire at least 10,000 new employees by the end of the year.
- Visit Business Insider's homepage for more stories.
As the coronavirus pandemic upends the US economy, big tech companies see an opportunity to recruit new hires.The jobs crisis caused by COVID-19, the coronavirus disease, has led dozens of startups to furlough or lay off staff, and freeze hiring. Meanwhile, tech's biggest players are on a recruitment push.Advertisement
Facebook, Amazon, Google, and Apple are all hiring tech jobs including engineers, data scientists, software designers, and cybersecurity experts, according to job listings on CareerBuilder and the companies' own job sites.
The lack of open roles at small startups might help tech giants poach top talent amid coronavirus, veteran tech recruiters told The Wall Street Journal on Monday. While startups can typically lure new hires with company equity and a greater degree of freedom, talent is now funneling almost exclusively into jobs at big tech.Amazon is advertising over 20,000 open tech jobs on top of the 175,000 new shipping and logistics roles it recently announced to meet the rising demand for home deliveries amid coronavirus. Facebook announced last week that it will hire 10,000 new workers on product and engineering teams by the end of the year.
Both Apple and Google's parent company, Alphabet, are also ramping up hiring this month, insiders told The Wall Street Journal. The two companies hired aggressively in the wake of the 2008 financial crisis as well as the dot-com bust, scooping up talent that had been laid off elsewhere.Here's a breakdown of the current hiring push led by the biggest players in tech.Advertisement
Across the board, software engineers are the most sought-after among big tech companies.
Facebook is hiring an additional 10,000 new workers this year, mostly in product and engineering.Advertisement
Google has posted new openings in recent weeks, mostly for software engineers and product designers.
Amazon is looking to fill over 20,000 roles in tech alone.Advertisement
Apple still plans to hire aggressively, and is even expanding perks for retail workers as its stores remain closed.
- Sharechat’s top exec shares how the social media startup is built for Bharat users – which platforms of the West lack
- Best voltage stabilizers for home use in India
- Times Internet's M360 partners with Google to enable effective monetization for digital publishers
- With 82,170 new COVID-19, India's coronavirus tally crossed 60 lakh
- RBI approves panel of three independent directors to run Lakshmi Vilas Bank