SpaceX launches Falcon 9 rocket booster for a record-breaking 9th time
- SpaceX launched its Falcon 9 rocket booster for a record-breaking 9th time.
- The rocket delivered a payload of Starlink satellites, bringing the total to 180 launched in the past two weeks.
- The launch underscores Space X's Falcon 9 reusability program.
SpaceX on Sunday launched a new batch of 6o Starlink internet satellites into orbit, with the payload delivered by its workhorse Falcon 9 rocket.
The launch set a record for the Falcon 9, a reusable launch vehicle, which logged its ninth flight and ninth landing for the first-stage booster.
Elon Musk's SpaceX set its previous reusability record in January this year as part of another Starlink launch - using the same first-stage booster, which had just flown in December of the year before last. The company not only wants to show that it can re-fly these boosters, but also that the turnaround for the booster units is rapid.
The two-stage rocket shot off from Pad 39A at NASA's Kennedy Space Center in Florida at 6:01 a.m. EDT.
The 60 Starlink satellites launched Sunday was the third batch in just two weeks. It brings the total in orbit to over 1,000.
Over the next few decades, Musk is hoping to send 42,000 satellites to space with the aim of bringing high-speed internet to every corner of the world- from the rainforest to Antarctica.
-SpaceX (@SpaceX) March 14, 2021
The launch comes just days after the firm's last flight, with a Falcon 9 rocket skyrocketing off from a neighboring Space Launch Complex 40, at Cape Canaveral.
No sight of a single cloud in the sky, onlookers were treated to an extraordinary view of the rocket climbing into orbit, Space.com reports.
- Elizabeth Holmes ordered dinners for Theranos staff but made sure they weren't delivered until after 8 p.m. so they worked late: book
- The CEO of software giant Intuit, which has avoided mass layoffs, says tech firms axed jobs because they misread the pandemic
- Elon Musk told Chinese Tesla workers in a late night speech that their hard work 'warms my heart' — 6 weeks after some complained about bonus cuts
- Major train accidents that India witnessed in last 15 years
- Odisha rail crash: Rescuers try to raise buried coach, death toll at 238
- Largest road networks in the world – India beats China to take the second spot
- Manoj Bajpayee joins the league of on-screen lawyers like Pankaj Tripathi, Shriya Pilgaonkar & more
- List of famous things to buy in Lonavala