TikTok Pro scam – What is it and how to protect yourself from it
- Scammers are now sharing links of a fake
TikTokPro app to obtain user information.
- Clicking on the malicious link forwards the message to all the contacts on your phone.
- If you receive such a message, do not click on the link and just delete the message.
TikTok reportedly had around 200 million users in India. While the ban has led to an increase in the popularity of Indian apps, scammers are also trying to use the TikTok ban in the country as an opportunity to scam users with an app called TikTok Pro.
What is the
@BlrCityPolice Sir i got a message to download the Pro version of tiktok trThru sms(no.9590139662). Thought of a s… https://t.co/RJ4hzI3yIv— Akhand Bharat (@IndBraveHeart) 1593865778000
“Enjoy Tiktok Videos and also make Create Videos again. Now TikTok is only Available in (TikTok pro) So Download from below.” This message is followed by a link that downloads the TikTok Pro APK file if the user clicks on it.
Some users who downloaded the app noted that the app does not work. However, the app requires permissions for the phone’s camera and the microphone.
While it’s not clear what the app does, it is not an official app and is probably some kind of malware that has been designed to obtain user information.
A TikTok user also reported that once someone clicks on the link, it is forwarded to all the contacts of the user.
Dear sir @hydcitypolice @CYBTRAFFIC @cpcybd Some of my friends got some notifications from online about tiktok pro… https://t.co/3O6LWhWJOP— Purushotham gowd (@GowdPurushotham) 1593837182000
Beware of Cyber crimes & Be Alert! https://t.co/0BYTPcZ194— Telangana State Police (@TelanganaCOPs) 1594114140000
How to protect yourself from the TikTok Pro scam?
The only thing that you need to do to protect yourself from the TikTok Pro scam is to avoid clicking on the link if you receive the above message. Also, inform all your friends and family to avoid clicking on such links.
TikTok is under fire from Hong Kong to US, days after ban in India
Looking for free episodes of Netflix's Delhi Crime, Amazon Prime’s Panchayat may expose you to hackers online — here are the top 10 most targeted web series
Top 20 Indian organisations under threat of attack from Chinese hackers to “teach India a lesson” amid border tension
- MPs should put pressure on Centre to include Kerala's demands in central budget:CM
- Final stage of Budget 2021-22 commences with Halwa ceremony
- Farmers' Protest: Local eateries facing tough time due to free langars at Singhu Border
- Venture Capital funding in India hits $3.1 billion in Q4 of 2020, says KPMG report
- A scary proposal to use facial recognition and AI by an Indian state has experts fuming