scorecard

You Searched For "529 college savings plan" and got 20 results

Sort By:

Business Insider Latest Story Image
3 mins read

I'm 43 and have a teenager and a baby. I stopped saving for college to pay for diapers and formula.

Sophoan Prak is a financial advisor at Vanguard and a mom to a teen and a baby. She stopped saving …

Kelly Burch   

5 mins read

I got engaged with a $57 Etsy ring. My fiancé and I both make 6 figures, but we're planning strategically to save $20K for our wedding.

Viviana Vazquez and her fiancé Xavi got engaged with a $57 Etsy ring. They have six-figure jobs an…

Viviana Vazquez   

71 mins read

What is a 529 plan? How they work and what they're used for

A 529 plan is an investment account earmarked for educational expenses. Earnings and withdrawals ar…

Lee Huffman,Tessa Campbell   

3 mins read

I taught college for almost a decade, and I want parents to stop forcing their kids into college. There are other options.

A college professor often found students only in school because their parents forced them. Instead,…

Rachel Garlinghouse   

6 mins read

New college graduates are stepping into a tougher job market. It could set their earnings back for years.

Recent college graduates are struggling to find work. Some could come to question the value of thei…

Jacob Zinkula,Andy Kiersz   

9 mins read

Jacob Zinkula,William Edwards   

2 mins read

I'm a recent college graduate. No one told me it would be this hard to make ends meet.

A recent college graduate can't get a full-time job, so she has several part-time jobs to make ends…

Augustina Boateng   

4 mins read

A baby boomer who saved over $2 million for retirement explains what he thinks he did right to make the system work for him

Mark, 65, was one of the first group of retirees to switch to a 401(k) from a pension. He made it w…

Juliana Kaplan   

4 mins read

My adult kids live at home. Space is tighter and costs are higher, but it might be the best way for them to save enough money to buy a house.

Two of Alex Gonzalez's three children boomeranged to live at home again. It can be challenging, but…

Jordan Pandy   

4 mins read

I was a millionaire by the age of 30. As preteens, my kids learned how to use debit cards, and I taught them how to save money.

David Ciccarelli was a millionaire by the time he was 30 and now has four kids. He teaches them to …

Kelly Burch   

4 mins read

Allie Kelly   

2 mins read

Giving new babies a savings account can help curb wealth gaps and make college feasible. One Democrat wants to make it federal law.

Senator Bob Casey's proposal for automatic savings accounts for every kid in the US plays on a popu…

Juliana Kaplan   

4 mins read

I skipped college and now make $600,000 a year online. I'm the first person in my family to purchase my own home.

Oliur Rahman asked his parents for one year to prove he could make money on his own instead of goin…

Ellen Nguyen   

3 mins read

My husband and I have a plan for his end-of-year bonus to supercharge our retirement savings

I don't have a 401(k), and I want to make sure I have my own retirement plan in place, so my husban…

Rachel Morgan Cautero   

3 mins read

6 things parents should know about saving money with 529s — they're not just for college, and they come with tax benefits

Two financial advisors share the benefits of creating a 529 account for children, from paying for c…

Kelly Burch   

4 mins read

I'm a GenZer who tried college but dropped out because of finances. Instead, I chose healthcare and plan to study cosmetology.

Tae'Vionna Jones, 20, tried college and would like to study psychology. For now, she's figuring out…

Tim Paradis   

2 mins read

529 plan tax deductions are offered by 34 states - here's the list for 2021, along with states that give breaks for each other's plans

This chart details the 529 plan tax deductions or credits that 34 states provide on contributions f…

Lee Huffman   

6 mins read

529 plans offer a tax-free way to save for and pay educational expenses - here's how these state-sponsored investment accounts work

A 529 plan is an investment account earmarked for educational expenses. Earnings and withdrawals ar…

Lee Huffman   

4 mins read

Ayelet Sheffey   

6 mins read

I saved $200,000 by the time I was 27, but I was miserable

Gwen Merz saved more than half of her income each month, but she didn't like living in a tiny studi…

Jordan Pandy