10 incredible pictures from Australia's Polar Bear Club
But in Australia, the Bondi Icebergs Winter Swimming Club, has been doing this since 1929, and not just for one day, but every winter Sunday morning from May to September.
The Olympic-sized Bondi Icebergs public pool sits right next to the Tasman Sea in Bondi Beach, a suburb of Sydney.
The pool temperature hovers around 16 degrees Celsius (60 degrees Fahrenheit), which isn't freezing. However, when thunder clouds come in, the sea swells and brings in massive waves that crash into the nearby pool, making it very challenging to swim.
Despite this, the Icebergs have been embracing their membership traditions for over 80 years.
- Sustainable Tourism Practices
- Byju's shareholders vote to remove CEO, family; company calls vote invalid
- Engaging with competent authorities, use only genuine cheese, says McDonald's
- Apple's India revenue up 42% to $8.7 bn in 2023: Morgan Stanley
- Reserve Bank asks NPCI to help continue operations of Paytm app