10 Tech Things You Need To Know This Morning
Good morning! Here's the best of what's being passed around in technology.
Owen Thomas, Business Insider
- Dropbox is raising a new round of financing at a valuation north of $8 billion, Bloomberg BusinessWeek reports. It has more than 200 million users and it generates hundreds of millions of dollars in annual revenue. One report says Dropbox has a $1 billion run rate.
- Salesforce.com released its earnings yesterday; revenue for the quarter beat expectations at $1.08 billion. CEO Marc Benioff said it was the first time any cloud computing company produced a quarter that high.
- Apple is doing a lot of work to bring clean energy to North Carolina and the rest of the world. It spent hundreds of millions building two huge solar panel farms and a fuel cell farm near its data center in North Carolina.
- Bitcoin surged to $900 then fell below $650 yesterday over the course of a half an hour. The spike coincided with a note from Ben Bernanke which stated Bitcoin "may hold long-term promise."
- An investor in PrimeSense, the company Apple reportedly wants to buy for $345 million, made a threat to the person who leaked the news on Facebook. Waze founder Noam Bardin chimed in too.
- Now you can pay for an Uber ride with PayPal.
- Samsung's Galaxy Gear smartwatch sales have reached 800,000 in two months.
- QuizUp is the latest hot iPhone game that investors are scrambling to get a piece of. That's because it accumulated 1 million users in its first eight days. Already, 60 million trivia games have been played on it.
- There's an "assassination market" and its creator is crowdfunding murder with Bitcoin.
- Maria Bartiromo is leaving her long-time gig at CNBC to join Fox. Rising star Kelly Evans will be her Closing Bell replacement.
Popular on BI
- Neobanking platform Vance raises $5.8 million in seed round led by Hummingbird Ventures
- Natural gas price increase negative for GAIL, IGL, marginal beneficiary is RIL: Jefferies
- Auto sales remain buoyant in September with reports of a good festive season ahead
- IAF scrambles fighter jets after bomb scare on Iranian civilian plane in Indian airspace
- Delhi reports over 400 cases of dengue in a week, taking the tally to 937