10 Tech Things You Need To Know This Morning
Here's what you need to know as you head into the weekend.
1. Facebook has just updated to let users choose the gender pronoun they associate with. Aside from the usual "male" and "female" options, users can choose up to 10 different gender definitions to describe themselves out of more than 50 options, including "cisgender," "transgender" and "intersex."
2. Google is working on technology that will provide data transfer speeds over the Internet that are many times faster than its current Google Fiber service in Kansas City.
3. A civilian NSA employee recently resigned after being stripped of his security clearance for allowing former agency contractor Edward Snowden to use his personal log-in credentials to access classified information, according to an agency memo obtained by NBC News.
4. Silk Road has been hacked. Someone stole all of its bitcoins.
5. Taco Bell is preparing to roll out mobile ordering nationwide later this year, a move that will likely fuel a trend expected to shake up the quick-service world.
6. Farhad Manjoo begins his job at the New York Times, and tells us what to buy. (Hint: Apple, Google, Amazon.)
7. Not on Manjoo's list? Microsoft. And they were pretty ticked about that.
8. Yahoo just acquired a San Francisco-based startup called Distill, which was working on a way to make technical recruiting easier by pairing video interviews and programming challenges.
9. Project to develop 'next generation' of the Internet is part of Google's broader obsession with speed, CFO says.
- We asked ChatGPT who the greatest athlete of all time is and it did not go well for LeBron James
- A man kept the same pair of contact lenses in for 3 years, causing permanent astigmatism and buildup behind his eyelids. His doctor said he's not responsible enough to wear contacts.
- Clarence Thomas wrote a scathing, nearly 50-page dissent about why the Supreme Court should have gutted voting rights
- Stock markets trade flat in early trade: HAL, Kotak Bank in focus
- Heatwave grips India - Bihar, West Bengal, Jharkhand to record highest temperature
- Apple Arcade looks Stronger Than Ever - New & Exciting Games Announced
- What is the best date to set for your SIPs – Beginning, end, or middle of the month?
- Asus ROG Flow Z13 review – a premium gaming tablet