10 things in tech you need to know today
1. Tech CEOs from Apple, Google, Microsoft, and more will meet with Donald Trump on Wednesday. Much of Silicon Valley was fiercely opposed to Trump's candidacy during the election.
2. Hundreds of Amazon employees used an anonymous app to vent about how a recent suicide attempt was handled. An employee jumped off the company's headquarters two weeks ago.
3. General Motors CEO Mary Barra has revealed her grand plan to usher the company into the self-driving era. The exec gave an exclusive interview to Business Insider.
4. Mark Zuckerberg's interest in government puts his defence of Peter Thiel in a whole new light. A lawsuit has revealed Facebook exec has expressed an interest in going into government.
5. Some Amazon warehouse workers are sleeping in tents to save money. Tents were spotted outside a facility in Scotland.
6. Uncertainties over Brexit risk a brain drain for science in the UK. There are unanswered questions over everything from funding to visas.
7. Bill Gates, Jeff Bezos, and others have committed $1 billion (£790 million) to a new "cleantech" fund, Breakthrough Energy Ventures. TechCrunch reports it will invest in green energy companies.
8. A bi-partisan group of US senators is calling for an investigation into Russian cyber attacks. The CIA believes Russia interfered with the US election in order to aid Donald Trump.
9. White Nationalist Richard Spencer has been unsuspended and verified by Twitter, Gizmodo reports. Spencer coined the term "alt-right."
10. The second stage of mobile dominance is now beginning, says an Andreessen Horowitz partner. Benedict Evans told Quartz that "the platform wars are over."
- Billionaire investor Mark Mobius says he's been able to get his money out of China, but investing in the country is still a 'dilemma' amid national security laws
- The Carnival cruise passenger who went overboard and remains missing was on his first cruise and it became his 'happy place,' his fiancée said
- The new Barbie movie used so much pink paint on set that it caused an international shortage, according to its production designer
- List of famous things to buy in Lonavala
- Attractiveness of gold depends on US Fed's moves, say analysts
- Coal India’s ₹4,000 crore offer for sale subscribed 4x times
- Nvidia's Jensen Huang started with a $10 million failure before shifting gears to become a $1 trillion company
- Meet the top Nifty50 performers in FY23