10 things your car mechanic won't tell you
Matt Cardy/Stringer/Getty Images
- Everybody needs a trustworthy auto mechanic with all the required professional certifications to keep a car in tip-top shape.
- But there are some things mechanics avoid telling customers.
- It never hurts to be educated when dealing with car mechanics.
Unless your car is brand new and under warranty, it's likely to need some maintenance during a given year. This could range from minor stuff, such as a routine oil change, to deeper dish repairs.
Most car mechanics - independent or employed by a dealer or repair chain - are ethical people who won't steer you toward needless work. But they might also insist that you hire them to perform maintenance that isn't entirely necessary.
Their arguments are sound: Why wait until a small problem becomes a big one?
But it's also your money, and you should know about the things your mechanic will never tell you.
For the record, I had a mechanic in Los Angeles for years who was a model of being up front about what absolutely needed to be fixed on my cars - and what could wait, or even be ignored. But such a mechanic is quite rare. So the best thing you can do is educate yourself.
Here are ten tips about what even the best mechanic might not tell you:
1. You can change your oil yourself.
2. You can probably ignore that check engine light for now (unless it's flashing)
3. You should do your own brake job.
4. You can buff that out yourself.
5. Buying a new car might be your best option
6. Don't keep your car forever.
7. The racing stripe is a TERRIBLE idea!
8. Have you checked out this new infotainment system?
9. Just hit it with a hammer.
10. Sorry, that's going to cost twice as much as I told you.
- Google’s birthday: Here's a look at the significant milestones in Google's 23-year history
- Aditya Birla AMC IPO’s grey market premium stands at ₹70 per share; up 10% from issue price band
- WATCH: "Someone said I am good enough to be a rickshaw puller," shares Freshworks CEO Girish Mathrubootham in a candid chat
- Paras Defence and Space Technologies IPO: Here’s how to check allotment status
- MyGlamm has set aside $100 million to acquire 6 beauty and personal care brands under new entity
- After Moderna chief, Pfizer CEO says COVID-19 likely to end in a year
- Like many 23-year-olds, Google is facing ‘trust’ issues
- COVID-19: Mizoram's positivity rate at 32% after 1,659 new cases registered in the state