10 ways to make your phone safer, according to security experts
Sean Gallup/Getty Images
- The typical smartphone contains tons of personal information, like credit card numbers, passwords, addresses, and other data.
- Business Insider asked experts how people can make their smartphones more secure.
- Experts recommend steps like using two-factor password authentication and avoiding charging phones in public places.
- Visit Business Insider's homepage for more stories.
Smartphone users rely on their devices for just about everything: business, shopping, communication, entertainment, and the list goes on.
But despite our reliance on our phones, many of us are not using them safely.
Consider the most basic of safety precautions: locking your home screen. According to a 2017 Pew report, nearly 30% of smartphone owners do not use a screen lock or other security features to access their phone.
Lapses like that can make users prey to cybersecurity breaches. To avoid having personal information and passwords stolen, take these 10 safety precautions to make your mobile device more secure.
Lock your home screen.
Use caller protection apps.
Avoid charging your phone in public ports.
Use two-factor authentication.
Update your phone's software regularly.
Turn your bluetooth and Wi-Fi off when not in use.
Stop jailbreaking or rooting your device.
Encrypt hotspots from being used by other devices.
Store passwords in encrypted files.
Use a VPN.
- Migration to other social media platforms shows no signs of slowing following Elon Musk's chaotic takeover at Twitter, report says
- BHEL among 5 bidders for Rs 58,000 cr deal to manufacture, maintain 200 Vande Bharat trains
- Max Financial Services: Company worth ₹24,000 crore running with only 12 employees
- Check out upcoming new WhatsApp features in 2023
- DHFL case: CBI moves Delhi HC against statutory bail to Wadhawan brothers
- Best mobile under ₹12000
- E-commerce platform Carousell lays off 110 employees to reduce costs
- Oil prices rise after G7 nations cap the price of Russian crude at $60/barrel
- Jio Haptik
- Reliance Jio
- Digital Nomad Visa
- Whatsapp tips
- Air India crew guidelines
- Mukesh Ambani
- Larget Employers
- Highest Revenue companies
- New Cars in December 2022
- Best Companies for Work
- India's Richest People
- Dharmaj Crop Guard IPO
- Top Valuable unlisted Company
- Tata Tiago cng vs Alto k10 cng
- Top 10 Colleges in India
- Top 10 Airlines in World