11 inspiring quotes by Bill McRaven, the Navy SEAL admiral who oversaw the bin Laden raid
- Retired SEAL Adm. Bill McRaven had an illustrious 37-year career in the Navy.
- The commando served in the elite SEAL Team 6 before he was fired by the unit's commander, Richard Marcinko.
- Following his firing, McRaven rose through the ranks, eventually commanding the Joint Special Operations Command.
- While he served alongside America's most elite fighters, he oversaw the capture of Saddam Hussein, the rescue of Captain Richard Phillips and the capture and killing of Osama bin Laden.
- The retired SEAL has had his share of controversy, most recently butting heads with President Donald Trump over the president's attacks against the media and move to strip the security clearance of former CIA Director John Brennan, who's been a harsh Trump critic.
"Changing the world can happen anywhere, and anyone can do it."
"If you want to change the world, start off by making your bed."
"It matters not your gender, your ethnic or religious background, your orientation or your social status. Our struggles in this world are similar, and the lessons to overcome those struggles and to move forward changing ourselves and changing the world around us will apply equally to all."
"Sometimes no matter how well you prepare or how well you perform, you still end up a 'sugar cookie.'"
"Work hard. Be humble, and I think that will serve you well in life."
"The great [leaders] know how to fail."
"If you want to be a SEAL, you must do two things: Listen to your parents and be nice to the other kids."
"It's not just about holding people accountable, it's making sure the people around you understand that their effort is worthwhile."
"You may be in charge, but it's never about you and you can't forget that."
"There is nothing more important to a democracy than an active and engaged press."
"I would consider it an honor if you would revoke my security clearance as well."
Popular on BI
- Impact of AI on Customer Service
- Bengaluru cafe blast: Karnataka CM Siddaramaiah to chair meeting with top police officials today
- India retains full policy space for benefit of farmers, fishermen at WTO: Goyal
- Sensex, Nifty settle at new closing high levels in first part of special live trading session
- Passive Income Streams