11 traits you need to be an effective remote worker
Jose Luis Pelaez Inc/Getty Images
- Working from home or outside of a traditional office setting can be ideal for some people who want to make their own schedule.
- But working remotely is not for everyone. It requires certain skills like discipline and strong communication skills.
- Business Insider spoke with experts to uncover the traits that make someone a successful remote worker.
- Visit Business Insider's homepage for more stories.
Although working remotely can sound like a dream come true, the truth is that not everyone is cut out for it.
In an office setting, you likely have your manager or boss sitting nearby and regular in-person meetings and check-ins with them. But when you're several or even thousands of miles away, you need self-discipline to stay on track and meet your deadlines.
As more and more companies are allowing their employees to work remotely - there was a 159% increase in remote work between 2005 and 2017, according to a recent report - it's important for workers to consider the type of work environment that's best for them.
"Remote work is increasingly popular and it's natural for commute-stressed professionals to think working from home is the end of all their troubles," Brie Reynolds, senior career specialist at Remote.co, told Business Insider. "But to be successful working remotely, you have to be well suited to this way of working."
There are certain traits and skills that are essential to remote work, she said, from being openly communicative to being process-improvement oriented.
"The good news is that they're also traits you can build and strengthen, and they'll help you be a better professional regardless of where you work," she said.
Here, Reynolds and two other experts reveal traits you need to be an effective remote worker.
Remote workers should prioritize clear communication when emailing and messaging coworkers.
When working remotely, it's still important to have a morning routine.
Remote workers should make the most of organizational and productivity tools.
It's crucial to find or create a space where you can focus on your work.
Being able to develop a sense of structure outside of a traditional office environment is a key part of being a remote worker.
Remote workers should avoid overanalyzing social cues while communicating with their team.
Separating yourself from distractions or other people around you while you're working is an important boundary to set.
Welcome new methods of working and communicating, and offer your own suggestions to improve team productivity
Stay focused on completing tasks and projects despite differences like time zones or schedules
Cherish opportunities to connect with colleagues on a personal level
Be open to building your network beyond your remote workspace
- Polygon and Binance swoop in to rescue projects running on Terra
- Zomato to Grasim to Aditya Birla Capital — here are six stocks that brokerages say you should buy
- Elon Musk-owned Tesla jumps 35 spots up Fortune 500 list, goes from number 100 to number 65 in rankings
- Modi government’s itch to offload ₹40,000 crore Hindustan Zinc stake hints at a bigger deficit than initially anticipated
- Five things the Indian government has done to reduce the burden of inflation
- Delhivery IPO allotment
- Reliance Retail
- Bitcoin Mining
- Reliance JIO
- Best Deal on Smartphones
- Unacademy offline Classes
- Hubble Space
- 5G Phones Under Rs. 20000
- Paytm Market Value
- Reliance Industries
- Venus Pipes Tubes IPO
- Hiring in BEL
- Adani Green
- Paradeep Phosphates balance sheet
- Spam Calls in India
- Whatsapp Reaction