15 Useful Skills You Learn As An Art History Major
Speaking in Wisconsin late last month, Obama told the crowd that "folks can make a lot more potentially with skilled manufacturing or the trades than they might with an art history degree."
"Now, nothing wrong with an art history degree - I love art history," he quickly qualified. "So I don't want to get a bunch of emails from everybody."
So much for that. Since then, art history advocates far and wide have risen in defense of the study, and the president offered a handwritten apology to one professor who took particular offense to his comments.
While art history might not prepare students for coding-intensive careers at Google, it certainly teaches plenty of skills that employers value. We checked out career guides for art history majors at a number of universities to see what those are.
Here are 15 of the most important ones:
- Critical thinking and analysis
- Presentations and public speaking
- Strong writing skills
- Comfort adapting content for different audiences and users
- Intensive research
- Problem-solving and decision-making
- Attention to detail
- Time management
- Ability to work independently or in teams
- Listening and asking insightful questions
- Open mindedness
- Aesthetic and design consciousness
- Broad historical and cultural knowledge
Next time you're looking for an employee, consider an art history major.
- A boomer moved back to Virginia after living in Florida for a decade. She says she'll 'never own another home' in the Sunshine State and loves the slower pace of life.
- Satellite images reveal Egypt has been quietly building a 16-foot wall on its border with Gaza
- Congressman presses Elon Musk to provide SpaceX satellite services for US defense forces in Taiwan, report says
- The importance of multi-asset investing
- AirAsia looks to add tier-2 and tier -3 cities to its India route map
- Most Internet users avail of OTT services; 53% of them from rural areas: Report
- Companies to dole out 10% average salary hike this year, says survey
- Godrej Appliances expects 20% growth in AC, refrigerator sales in summer season