15 weird US laws you may be surprised to know exist
- Some laws were written decades ago, and are more hysterical than intimidating. Others are relatively new, but still just as strange.
- From making sure cheese is "highly pleasing" to only allowing fried chicken to be eaten with your fingers, these US laws exist but are hard or impossible to enforce.
- Visit Business Insider's homepage for more stories.
View all Offers
- 16% OFF
Oppo A16 (Pearl Blue, 4GB RAM, 64GB Storage) with No Cost EMI/Additional Exchange Offers₹ 13490₹ 16990Buy On
- 48% OFF
Samsung Galaxy Note 20 (Mystic Bronze, 8GB RAM, 256GB Storage) with No Cost EMI/Additional Exchange Offers₹ 44999₹ 86000Buy On
- 11% OFF
iQOO 7 Legend 5G (Legendary Track Design, 8GB RAM, 128GB Storage) | 3GB Extended RAM | Upto 12 Months No Cost EMI | 6 Months Free Screen Replacement | Extra Rs.3000 Off on Exchange₹ 39990₹ 44990Buy On
- 10% OFF
Redmi Note 10 Pro (Dark Night, 6GB RAM, 128GB Storage) -120hz Super Amoled Display|64MPwith 5mp Super Tele-Macro₹ 17999₹ 19999Buy On
- 24% OFF
Samsung Galaxy M32 (Light Blue, 4GB RAM, 64GB Storage) 6 Months Free Screen Replacement for Prime₹ 12999₹ 16999Buy On
You might be surprised to find out swearing in public or honking your horn near a local deli may result in fines or arrests in some US states. But they can!
Read more: The most ridiculous law in every state
We scoured the internet and official government websites to find some of the strangest laws that exist today.
Here are 15 that are not only odd, but probably difficult or impossible to enforce.
In Alabama, stink bombs are outlawed.
In Arkansas, you can't honk your horn near a sandwich shop after 9 p.m.
In Delaware, it's illegal to whisper in church.
In Florida, you can't wear masks or hoods covering the face in public.
In Georgia, it's forbidden to eat fried chicken with a knife and fork.
In Kansas, tire screeching is illegal.
In Louisiana, taking someone else's crawfish could land you in the big house.
In Maryland, you can't swear in public.
In Montana, you can't have a pet rat.
In Nebraska, you can't get married if you have an STD.
In New Hampshire, you can't pick up seaweed off the beach.
In North Carolina, drunk bingo is banned.
In Pennsylvania, it's illegal to feed your cat or dog less than once a day.
In Tennessee, you can't share your Netflix password.
In Wisconsin, cheese has to be delicious, or at least "highly pleasing."
- Best coffee and tea mugs for your office or home
- WHO may approve Bharat Biotech's Covaxin 'within 24 hours' for emergency use, according to media reports
- Axis Bank posts highest ever quarterly net profit that grew 86% on year
- Pitch your startup ideas at IIT Bombay’s business model competition Eureka! — Here’s how you can apply
- Fino Payments Bank will be the first fintech startup in India to get listed on the bourses and it is profitable