21 quotes from the Apollo 11 astronauts on everything from walking on the moon to the future of spaceflight
- 50 years ago, the Apollo 11 astronauts took off for the moon.
- Aside from Neil Armstrong's unforgettable words upon walking the lunar surface, the three astronauts had much more to say about their experiences.
- Here are their most unforgettable quotes on everything from their historic mission to the future of space travel.
- Visit Business Insider's homepage for more stories.
View all Offers
- 53% OFF
Ebee Store Multipurpose Table (Matt Finish, Wenge)₹ 1889₹ 4000Buy On
- 33% OFF
Duroflex LiveIn - Pressure Relieving, Memory Foam, Roll Pack, 6 Inch Queen Size Medium Firm Mattress with Superior Comfort and Anti Microbial Fabric (72 X 60 X 6 Inches)₹ 10859₹ 17999Buy On
- 42% OFF
Ebee 8 Pair Metal Shoe Stand (Blue, 4 Shelves)₹ 519₹ 899Buy On
- 24% OFF
Nilkamal Freedom Plastic Shoe Rack Storage Cabinet | FMSC18_Sandy Brown & Dark Brown₹ 4499₹ 5900Buy On
- 66% OFF
Coirfit Jute Fabric Washable Cover Folding Sofa Cum Bed (Grey, 4' X 6' Feet)₹ 6649₹ 13635Buy On
Half a century ago, on July 16, 1969, the Apollo 11 astronauts took off for the moon.
Neil Armstrong, Edwin "Buzz" Aldrin, and Michael Collins arrived four days later to a place no human being had ever been before.
Collins orbited the moon while Armstrong and Aldrin landed on its surface. It took them hours to put on their space suits and prep for touchdown. After descending the ladder onto the lunar surface, Armstrong uttered his historic words: "That's one small step for man, one giant leap for mankind." (Armstrong would later claim, "'That's one small step for 'a' man.' It's just that people just didn't hear it.")
The 600 million people watching the moon landing on television would remember that line. But the three astronauts had much more to say about their experience flying to the moon and back.
Here are the astronauts' most memorable words.
Neil Armstrong on vision
Buzz Aldrin on dreams
Buzz Aldrin on keeping an open mind
Neil Armstrong on challenges (answered during Apollo 11's pre-flight news conference)
Michael Collins on liftoff
Buzz Aldrin on weightlessness
Neil Armstrong after landing on the moon
Neil Armstrong's first words on the moon
Neil Armstrong on his famous quote
Neil Armstrong on his moonwalk
Buzz Aldrin on the lunar surface
Neil Armstrong on the lunar surface
Michael Collins on looking down at Earth
Michael Collins on orbiting the moon alone
Buzz Aldrin on looking back at Earth
Buzz Aldrin on being the second man on the moon
Buzz Aldrin on returning to space
Neil Armstrong on being an engineer
Michael Collins on Mars
Neil Armstrong on lunar bases
Buzz Aldrin on exploration
- pi Ventures plans to invest in 25 young startups with its latest $75 million fund
- Best deals on hair straighteners, trimmers and other grooming products on Amazon
- Amazon Republic Day Sale 2022 — Best deals and offers on Echo smart speakers, Fire TV Sticks and more
- Two IndiGo planes avert mid-air collision over Bengaluru airport, DGCA to take strict action
- India's tennis star Sania Mirza announces retirement from the sport by the end of 2022 season
- Mythology audiobooks
- Electric car Championship
- India's win in Centurion
- Millionaires Employees
- Car with Waiting Period
- Tax Saving Investment
- Urban Company
- New Year 2022
- Upcoming new laptops
- Bank Holidays in January
- Valuable NFT Projects
- Xiaomi 11i hypercharge
- GST Input tax credit
- Public Holidays in 2022
- RBL Stocks
- Upcoming Smartphones in 2022