5 bestselling Indian books that could be blockbuster movies
Movies and books continue to be the main source of entertainment for us. And Indian authors have become a tribe to reckon with. While international authors have always successfully transited from books to movies; for e.g.; JK Rowling’s ‘Harry Potter and the Philosopher’s stone’ not only sold more than a 100 million copies, but also grossed over 2 billion in revenues as a movie; we are hoping to see more Indian authors do the same.
This got us thinking; what makes a book appealing for adaptation by film or TV producers? How can you tell if a book is screen-worthy? Books that are extremely popular, have a great deal of mass appeal, are intriguing and keep you captivated.
And so a really good book is bait for a lot of people — on the strength of a book you're able to attract really great talent to work on its adaptation; because readers want to get closer to the characters they love.
We shortlisted 5 such books, who have already won the
1. The Hungry Tide by
2. Sacred Games by
3. Past Continuous by
4. Sea of Poppies (The Ibis Trilogy) by Amitav Ghosh: The story is set prior to the First Opium War on the banks of the holy river Ganga, and in Kolkatta. The author compares the Ganges to the Nile, the lifeline of the Egyptian civilization, attributing the provenance and growth of these civilizations to these selfless, ever-flowing bodies. He portrays the characters as poppy seeds emanating in large numbers from the field to form a sea, where every single seed is uncertain about its future.
5. The Bankster by
(This article is authored by Sonal Gandhi , Buying and merchandising- Head books at Crossword book stores)
Popular on BI
- Flyers are 'skiplagging' to try and save money on flight tickets. Airlines hate it.
- Electricity prices in Finland flipped negative — a huge oversupply of clean, hydroelectric power meant suppliers were almost giving it away
- After Germany enters recession, fears in Singapore of 'technical recession'
- Samsung Galaxy A34 5G review: A Mid-range marvel
- 10 ways to reduce your home loan EMI burden
- Global trends, macroeconomic data to drive equity markets this week: Analysts
- New Parliament building inauguration: 'Sarva-Dharma Prarthana' ceremony held
- List of Famous things to buy in Coorg