6 owners of tiny homes reveal how much they spend each month on housing
Frank Olito/ Insider
- Residents in the Orlando Lakefront tiny house community typically spend less than $1,000 per month on home-related expenses.
- Elizabeth Silva spends just $600 per month on her housing expenses, which include rent, internet, utilities, and insurance.
- Meanwhile, Mickie Boehm spends $1,000 per month on the same expenses.
- Visit Business Insider's homepage for more stories.
Tiny homes can cost anywhere from $8,000 to $150,000 to build, which is far less than the cost of the average standard size home in the US. And the savings don't stop there.
Living in - and maintaining- a tiny home is typically less expensive, as well. Nobody knows this better than the residents of Orlando Lakefront, a tiny house community in Florida. In fact, the owner of the community, Adam Money, told Business Insider that people who live in tiny houses typically save $2,000 a month.
After speaking with six homeowners in the community, it's clear that most spend less than $1,000 on expenses every month. Keep reading to see how their expenses break down.
Mickie Boehm — who has lived in a 250-square-foot tiny house with her husband since July 2018 — spends about $1,000 per month on expenses.
Amanda Burger lives in her 26-foot-long tiny house with two small children. She spends almost $1,000 per month on expenses.
DJ Gilley has lived in her 220-square-foot home since February 2019 and spends about $745 per month on expenses.
Misty Gilley spends about $645 per month on expenses related to her 240-square-foot home.
Elizabeth Silva has lived in her 170-square-foot tiny house since August 2019 and spends about $640 per month on expenses.
Li-Mor Raviv's 320-square-foot home is still being built, but her monthly expenses are already $600.
- Air India passengers stranded in Siberia for 2 days were abandoned by the crew, had to sleep on the floor, and were only given bread and rice, relative says
- Foreign investors have been dumping vast amounts of Chinese assets, and putting money there will only get riskier
- Trump acted like 'the Godfather if it was reenacted by a 5-year-old' to try to keep his hands clean in Mar-a-Lago case: experts
- A complete itinerary for your 3 days in Srinagar
- List of famous things to buy in Munnar
- Ads that sailed into the eye of a controversy
- India tops world ranking in digital payments, records 89.5 million transactions in 2022: MyGovIndia
- Will regulate AI and ensure it doesn't harm digital citizens: Rajeev Chandrasekhar