$8 billion NetApp is buying a storage company for $870 million in cash
SolidFire's specialty is in making storage systems for enterprise data centers that use solid-state flash drives, rather than older and more inefficient spinning platter hard drives.
In plainer English, SolidFire helps enterprises build their storage systems using tech that's more like the hard drive in the most recent MacBook. It's a quieter, faster, and more energy-efficient way of doing things.
It gives NetApp, a publicly-traded Fortune 500 company with an $8 billion market cap, a little extra leverage as it works to build its appeal with big enterprises, who are looking to make their own data centers as efficient and scalable as those offered by the likes of Amazon Web Services or Microsoft Azure.
That's an especially important goal, as business customers struggle to store all the data generated and collected by the rising tide of mobile apps and web services. NetApp has also signed partnerships with companies like Google to further its stake in the cloud business, as competitive pressures mount.
Meanwhile, this is looking like a strong exit for SolidFire, which had raised $150 million in venture funding since its founding in 2010.
- 911 dispatchers say skiers are accidentally setting off Apple's new crash-detection technology without realizing, triggering emergency calls
- The rally in stocks will trick investors into thinking the bear market is over, but there's still a case for the S&P 500 to fall another 26% next year, Morgan Stanley's Mike Wilson says
- Adani may be the richest Indian but Ambani’s RIL retains the top spot on Hurun's list of most valuable companies
- Here are the best apps and games on Google Play in India 2022
- Top 10 companies with the highest net profit in India as per Hurun 2022 list
- Rupee gains 8 paise to close at 81.22 against US dollar
- BYJU’s, Zomato, Dream11 among India’s most valuable PE/VC-funded companies as per Hurun
- GST revenues rose by 11% to ₹1.46 lakh crore in November: Finance Ministry
- Dharmaj Crop IPO
- Reliance Jio
- Whatsapp tips
- Air India crew guidelines
- Mukesh Ambani
- tata Consumer
- Highest Revenue companies
- New Cars in December 2022
- Best Companies for Work
- India's Richest People
- VerSe Innovation Company
- Top Valuable unlisted Company
- Tata Tiago cng vs Alto k10 cng
- Top 10 Colleges in India
- Top 10 Airlines in World