A cryptocurrency created as a joke about a dog meme now has a market cap above $2 billion
- Dogecoin, the digital currency inspired by the popular Doge meme, now has a market capitalization above $2 billion.
- Its founder is worried the coin's recent rise indicates wider frothiness in the cryptocurrency market.
It soared above the $1 billion milestone on Christmas Day and has continued to hit new milestones. As for its price, the coin was trading at $0.018 on Sunday. Still, that's up from $0.00000021 a coin at the beginning of December.
Dogecoin, the alternative cryptocurrency inspired by a popular 2013 meme, has surged over the weekend and now has a market capitalization over $2 billion.
"I have a lot of faith in the Dogecoin Core development team to keep the software stable and secure, but I think it says a lot about the state of the cryptocurrency space in general that a currency with a dog on it which hasn't released a software update in over 2 years has a $1B+ market cap," Palmer told cryptocurrency watcher CoinDesk.Wall Street has been raising red-flags about a bubble in the market. In fact, UBS chief economist Paul Donovan said cryptocurrencies are in "the bubble to end all bubbles."
"A twenty-fold increase in bitcoin prices in just two years, and an absence of any fundamental economic backing, cryptocurrency prices are almost certainly a bubble," Donovan wrote in an October memo.As for Dogecoin, Palmer, a group product manager at Adobe, and Billy Markus, a software engineer at IBM, created it "without much real thought," according to reporting by Motherboard. As Palmer told Motherboard's Patrick McGuire, "one night after work, I sat down with a beer, I had too much time on my hands, and I bought Dogecoin.com."
Markus stepped in to help make Dogecoin an actual currency.
The name of the coin is an homage to the popular internet meme known as Doge, which became popular in 2013 and features the face of a dog with comic sans texts in the background.This is the meme:
- Compound Interest Waiver Scheme applies to everyone but provides limited relief — Here’s everything you need to know
- Best budget truly wireless earbuds in India
- India is the most attractive emerging market for clean energy investment, says Prime Minister Modi
- Tata Motors may report loss for yet another quarter led by weak JLR sales, commercial vehicles’ pain
- Supreme Court jumps in for Amazon and Flipkart after Karnataka High Court remains mum on investigation against their anti-competitive practices for over 200 days