A cryptocurrency created as a joke about a dog meme now has a market cap above $2 billion
- Dogecoin, the digital currency inspired by the popular Doge meme, now has a market capitalization above $2 billion.
- Its founder is worried the coin's recent rise indicates wider frothiness in the cryptocurrency market.
Dogecoin, the alternative cryptocurrency inspired by a popular 2013 meme, has surged over the weekend and now has a market capitalization over $2 billion.
It soared above the $1 billion milestone on Christmas Day and has continued to hit new milestones. As for its price, the coin was trading at $0.018 on Sunday. Still, that's up from $0.00000021 a coin at the beginning of December.
Founder Jackson Palmer, who created the digital currency as a joke, said new found interest in Dogecoin is a concerning indicator of wide-spread frothiness in the cryptocurrency market.
"I have a lot of faith in the Dogecoin Core development team to keep the software stable and secure, but I think it says a lot about the state of the cryptocurrency space in general that a currency with a dog on it which hasn't released a software update in over 2 years has a $1B+ market cap," Palmer told cryptocurrency watcher CoinDesk.
Wall Street has been raising red-flags about a bubble in the market. In fact, UBS chief economist Paul Donovan said cryptocurrencies are in "the bubble to end all bubbles."
"A twenty-fold increase in bitcoin prices in just two years, and an absence of any fundamental economic backing, cryptocurrency prices are almost certainly a bubble," Donovan wrote in an October memo.
As Palmer told Motherboard's Patrick McGuire, "one night after work, I sat down with a beer, I had too much time on my hands, and I bought Dogecoin.com."
Markus stepped in to help make Dogecoin an actual currency.
The name of the coin is an homage to the popular internet meme known as Doge, which became popular in 2013 and features the face of a dog with comic sans texts in the background.
This is the meme:
- Shipwrecks are now protecting sea turtles, dolphins and other crucial marine creatures from bottom-towed fishing
- Top 10 must-visit destinations in South Africa
- Indian markets continue record run, Sensex scales 69K peak as power, bank shares advance
- Stock markets continue record run, Sensex scales 69K peak as power, bank shares advance
- Icy pebbles may be carrying water to developing planets across the cosmos!