A harrowing photo of the Queen sitting alone at Prince Philip's funeral captures the loneliness of grieving in the pandemic
- The Queen has been pictured sitting alone at
Prince Philip's funeral.
- The duke died at the age of 99 on Friday, April 9.
- The Queen and Philip were married for 73 years.
Her Majesty, 94, was one of 30 people permitted to attend the funeral service, due to the UK's COVID-19 restrictions.
Prince Philip died "peacefully" at Windsor Castle on Friday, April 9, the palace said in a statement at the time. The duke was 99.
The Queen's children, Prince Charles, Princess Anne, Prince Andrew, and Prince Edward were among the guests at the funeral service. Prince Harry, Prince William, and Kate Middleton also attended.
The monarch likely didn't sit next to her relatives due to the country's social distancing guidelines, which state you must stay two meters away from those outside your household or support bubble.
The Queen and the Duke of Edinburgh were married for 73 years.
After falling in love as teenagers, the then-Princess Elizabeth and Prince Philip announced their engagement in July 1947, when the couple were 21 and 26 respectively.
They tied the knot on November 20, 1947, at Westminster Abbey. Philip will be remembered in history as Britain's longest-serving consort, the term used to describe the companion to the monarch.
This is a developing story. Please check back for more updates.
- Elizabeth Holmes ordered dinners for Theranos staff but made sure they weren't delivered until after 8 p.m. so they worked late: book
- The CEO of software giant Intuit, which has avoided mass layoffs, says tech firms axed jobs because they misread the pandemic
- I flew cross-country with my 5-month-old son on my lap. Next time, I'm paying full price for him to have his own seat.
- Major train accidents that India witnessed in last 15 years
- Odisha rail crash: Rescuers try to raise buried coach, death toll at 238
- Largest road networks in the world – India beats China to take the second spot
- Manoj Bajpayee joins the league of on-screen lawyers like Pankaj Tripathi, Shriya Pilgaonkar & more
- List of famous things to buy in Lonavala