AWS appears to be down, and it's taken popular services like Ring smart-home systems, Netflix, and Disney+ with it
- Amazon's web-hosting subsidiary,
AmazonWeb Services, was experiencing major issues on Tuesday.
- The outage appeared to affect major streaming services including Disney+ and Netflix.
Amazon's web-hosting subsidiary, Amazon Web Services, appeared to have suffered a major outage on Tuesday morning.
Reports on the website Down Detector indicated widespread issues with
Oher digital services, from the crypto-trading service CoinDesk to the fast-casual restaurant chain Sweetgreen, were also experiencing outages as a result of AWS issues. Additionally, some major online games including "Valorant" and "League of Legends" appeared to be experiencing issues.
Amazon confirmed the outage and said on the AWS status page that it was "investigating increased error rates for the AWS Management Console."
Amazon also said the outage was regional, applying to "US-EAST-1 Region" servers, which are housed in Virginia. Amazon later said it had discovered what was causing issues and was "actively working towards recovering."
Beyond third-party services, the outage caused major issues for Amazon's Ring smart-home systems, Alexa speakers, and Prime music- and video-streaming services.
Ring owners on social media detailed the kinds of issues they were experiencing, saying their doorbells weren't working or that they'd lost a video feed used for monitoring infants during naptime.
"Eek, just in time for my newly-in-beds triplet toddlers' nap," one person said. "Now I have no idea what they're doing up there."
AWS supports huge sections of the internet, and any outages — such as one in November 2020 — have ripple effects that can cause dozens of services to go down.
Got a tip? Contact Insider senior correspondent Ben Gilbert via email (firstname.lastname@example.org), or Twitter DM (@realbengilbert). We can keep sources anonymous. Use a non-work device to reach out. PR pitches by email only, please.
- Financial inclusion made easy for India’s small merchants with Paytm’s pioneering QR codes and Soundbox
- With Rupay Credit Card on UPI, mobile payments pioneer Paytm deepens its leadership in UPI
- A 24-year-old stock trader who made over $8 million in 2 years shares the 4 indicators he uses as his guides to buy and sell
- 10 Must-Do activities on your next Darjeeling Trip
- Govt received ₹1,70,501 crore in April as revenue
- Shubman Gill, Sunil Narine, Virat Kohli & more: IPL man of the series winners since 2008
- Five personal finance deadlines you can’t afford to miss in June
- List of famous things to buy in Darjeeling