Amazon quietly launched a new store in malls after pulling the plug on its pop-up stores
- Amazon has launched "Presented by Amazon" kiosks in four malls around the country.
- They're a place to browse "a themed selection of top brands, frequently updated and presented to you by Amazon," according to the company's website.
- The new stores come months after Amazon closed all of its mall-based pop-up stores.
- Visit Business Insider's homepage for more stories.
Amazon's apparently moving back into the mall.
The company has launched "Presented by Amazon" kiosks in four malls around the country. They're a place to browse "a themed selection of top brands, frequently updated and presented to you by Amazon," according to the company's website.
There are currently four locations, all of which are in premier, high-trafficked malls: Century City Mall in Los Angeles; San Francisco Centre Mall in San Francisco; Old Orchard Mall in Skokie, Illinois; and Fashion Show Mall in Las Vegas.
According to Amazon's website, the new store sells "merchandise," though the company's page does not provide any specific details beyond that. One clue: that merchandise is likely not a majority of either books or its own devices, both of which are served by Amazon Books and Amazon 4-star stores, as Amazon's website notes.
An Amazon representative did not immediately respond to Business Insider's request for comment.
Not much else is known about the kiosks. It's unclear whether they are brand-new stores or direct descendants of Amazon's pop-up stores, all 87 of which were set to be closed by April 29, the company announced on March 6.
Read more: Amazon is closing all 87 of its pop-up stores, reportedly laying off all employees
"After much review, we came to the decision to discontinue our pop-up kiosk program, and are instead expanding Amazon Books and Amazon 4-star, where we provide a more comprehensive customer experience and broader selection," Amazon said in a statement at the time.
It's unclear when exactly the Presented by Amazon kiosks opened, whether they will expand from the current locations, or how they fit into the company's future plans.
Do you know more about Presented by Amazon or Amazon's other plans for physical stores? Contact this reporter at email@example.com.
- Elizabeth Holmes ordered dinners for Theranos staff but made sure they weren't delivered until after 8 p.m. so they worked late: book
- My twin and I were in separate classrooms in school. Our joint math lesson made me realize how silly that was.
- 2,000 years before 'manscaping' and smooth armpits, the Romans were seriously into hair removal, archaeological findings show
- Crude oil prices may hit $100/bbl after OPEC+ decision, say analysts
- Gufi Paintal, who played the ‘Shakuni Mama’ role in Mahabharat, dies at 79
- Sakshi Malik refutes reports she has withdrawn from wrestlers’ protest
- Here’s how urban and rural India is spending every ₹100 they earn
- ChatGPT iOS app vs website — The better experience and why