Amazon's $775 million deal for robotics company Kiva is starting to look really smart
Reuters / Noah Berger
But in the short two years they've been deployed across Amazon's warehouses, Kiva's robots have been a real cost saver, according to a new note published by Deutsche Bank on Wednesday.The note says Kiva robots have cut operating expenses by about 20%, quoting Amazon exec Dave Clark, adding that it would translate to roughly $22 million in cost savings for each fulfillment center.
The cost savings are mostly derived by simply improving warehouse efficiency. The note says cycle times have been cut from 60 to 75 minutes to roughly 15 minutes after deploying Kiva robots, while inventory space grew 50% due to smarter use of space, such as building narrower isles or getting rid of certain handling systems.And it's safe to say Kiva will play an even bigger role at Amazon, as it continues to expand to other markets in Asia, the note said.
"In our vision for Amazon's future fulfillment footprint, we see Kiva robots playing a much bigger role in improving efficiency if mega-fulfillment centers are deployed in Asia," Deutsche Bank wrote.In case you haven't seen the Kiva robot, it's a square-shaped, yellow machine that runs on wheels. They're about 16 inches tall and weighs almost 320 pounds. They can run at a steady 5 mph and haul packages weighing up to 700 pounds.The video below gives a good look at how it works at Amazon's warehouse facilities:
Disclosure: Jeff Bezos is an investor in Business Insider through hispersonal investment company Bezos Expeditions.
- GST exemption on domestic supplies, commercial imports of COVID drugs to make them costlier, says Finance Minister Nirmala Sitharaman
- Uttar Pradesh government extends statewide lockdown till May 17
- Marriage functions to be held at home or court with maximum gathering of 20 people, says Delhi DDMA
- PM Modi speaks to Chief Minsters of Punjab, Karnataka, Bihar and Uttarakhand regarding COVID-19 situation in their respective states
- If you are feeling anxious and overwhelmed by the pandemic and the news around it, here are a few ways to calm yourself down